Capsule Endoscopy vs. CT Colonography Following Incomplete Colonoscopy: 4 Things to Know
Gut compares the efficacy of capsule endoscopy to CT colonography in patients with an incomplete colonoscopy.
Of the 100 patients enrolled, capsule endoscopy and CT colonography were able to achieve complete colonic evaluation in 98 percent of cases. Here are four things to know about the study's results.
1. Capsule endoscopy detected polyps greater than or equal to 6 mm in 24.5 percent of patients, while CT colonography detected polyps greater than or equal to 6 mm in 12.2 percent of patients.
2. Capsule endoscopy sensitivity compared to CT colonography was 2.0, indicating an increase in sensitivity for lesions greater than or equal to 6 mm.
3. Capsule endoscopy detected polyps greater than or equal to 10 mm in 5.1 percent of patients, while CT colonography detected polyps greater than or equal to 10 mm in 3.1 percent of patients.
4. The researchers concluded that capsule endoscopy and CT colonography are comparable in completing colon evaluation after an incomplete colonoscopy, but capsule endoscopy has a superior overall diagnostic yield.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
8 Devices & Tests Designed to Improve Colorectal Cancer Screening
Frontier Healthcare Opens Long Island Digestive Endoscopy CEnter: 5 Insights
Colonoscopy Facility Reimbursement: 2013 vs. 2014
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
US Endoscopy enters into distribution partnership for EndoRings deviceRead Now
- 12 tips to negotiate a deal more effectively
- ASC stock report — 5 key company updates
- New EndoChoice slim scope, US Endoscopy distribution agreement & more – 6 GI/endoscopy company key notes
- VisionCare completes financing for commercialization of telescope implant
- House committee chairmen release joint statement on ICD-10 implementation