ASGE Names Dr. Colleen Schmitt President, Announces 2014-2015 Board Members: 5 Things to Know
named Colleen M. Schmitt, MD, MHS, FASGE, its new president and announced its 2014 to 2015 board members. Here are five things to know about the ASGE President and board.
1. Dr. Schmitt practices with the Galen Medical Group in Chattanooga, Tenn. "I am honored and proud to lead ASGE as president. One of the greatest benefits of becoming an ASGE leader is the ability to mentor and provide opportunities for young people who are just starting out," she said in a news release. Kenneth K. Wang, MD, FASGE, turned over the presidency to Dr. Schmitt during Digestive Disease Week in Chicago.
2. During the first year of her presidency, Dr. Schmitt will initiate the Leadership Education and Development program to provide GI physicians with enhanced leadership and career development skills. "At the other end of the practice spectrum, ASGE is filling a gap in education by growing the Skills, Training, Assessment and Reinforcement program, which focuses on a rigorous approach to teaching a new skill set to experienced endoscopists," she said in the news release. Dr. Schmitt will also work with the ASGE's sister GI societies to advocate for transparency in the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services rate setting process.
3. Douglas O. Faigel, MD, FASGE, has been named president-elect of the ASGE. Dr. Faigel practices in the gastroenterology and hepatology department of Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz.
4. The governing board also includes:
• Secretary: Kenneth R. McQuaid, MD, FASGE, of the VA Medical Center in San Francisco
• Secretary-elect: John J. Vargo II, MD, MPH, FASGE, of Cleveland Clinic
• Treasurer Steven A. Edmundowicz, MD, FASGE, of the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
• Past President: Kenneth K. Wang, MD, FASGE, of Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.
• Past President: Thomas M. Deas, MD, MMM, FASGE, of Gastroenterology Associates of North Texas in Fort Worth
5. Councilors for 2014 to 2015 include:
• Ian M. Gralnek, MD, MSHS, FASGE
• Brian C. Jacobson, MD, MPH, FASGE
• Bret T. Petersen, MD, FASGE
• Douglas K. Rex, MS, FASGE
• Sarah A. Rodriguez, MD
• William M. Tierney, MD, FASGE
Robert A. Ganz, MD, FASGE, will serve as the ASGE foundation chair.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
The Gastroenterologist's Role in ASC Quality Improvement: Q&A With Dr. Bret Petersen of Mayo Clinic
Colonoscopy Facility Reimbursement: 2013 vs. 2014
Bundled Payments for Colonoscopy & Beyond: Can GI Practices Build a Viable Model?
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
AGA addresses duodenoscope infection risksRead Now
- Fujifilm's ground breaking technology
- 3 ASCs that aced accreditation surveys
- U.S. Anesthesia Partners adds Anesthesia Consultants of Dallas
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Ashwin Ananthakrishnan of Massachusetts General Hospital
- Postop NSAIDs increases anastomotic complication risk among colorectal resection patients, study finds