AGA Technology Summit: 4 Key Takeaways
1. Unmet needs. The AGA summit focused on perspectives from both GI surgeons and endoscopists. Surgeons see procedural gaps in two key areas: endoscopic closure of leaks and fistulas and endolumenal full thickness resection of colon cancer, according to the report. Endoscopists focus on unmet procedural needs in the areas of acute disease, chronic disease and neoplasia.
2. Advances and reimbursement concerns. Though significant advances have been made in the GI field, reimbursement can hamper the implementation of new technology and techniques. For example, the Fuse endoscopy system dramatically improved polyp detection rates, but acquiring new equipment requires a significant investment. The possibility of cuts to colonoscopy reimbursement was a key theme at the summit.
3. Value-based reimbursement. The fee-for-service payment model is rapidly being replaced by value-based payment. The AGA Technology Summit focused on how this shift will affect gastroenterologists. Key questions focused on the exact timeline for the adoption of value-based reimbursement and how GI physicians could remain successful in the age of accountable care.
4. GI imaging advances. The summit focused on the various advances in endoscopic imaging including new techniques, contrast agents, wavelengths of light, autofluoresence, magnification and high-resolution modalities.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Bundled Payments for Colonoscopy & Beyond: Can GI Practices Build a Viable Model?
Value-Based Payments: 6 Important Dates for Gastroenterologists
75 Gastroenterologist Moves & Honors in 2014
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Roger Williams' bariatric surgery program reaccredited — 3 points
- Capital One completes GE Capital healthcare finance service lending business acquisition: 5 key notes
- Bernie Sanders has outpatient surgery
- Hillside Endoscopy Center achieves accreditation: 5 key notes
- Alshemari Instruments launches a new surgical needle — 5 things to know about the Alshemari Needle Driver