AGA: 12 lower GI endoscopy coding changes to know for 2015
• The CPT Editorial Panel has been replacing the phrase "with or without" with "including, when performed." In 2014, this change affected esophagoscopy, EGD and ERCP. In 2015, this change will be made to the terminology for ileoscopy, pouchoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy through stoma and colonoscopy.
• The word "bowel" is being replaced with "intestine." Both changes are editorial and do not affect the way the codes are reported.
• New CPT codes for placement of stents have bundled pre-dilation, post-dilation and guide wire passage.
• The new descriptor for control bleeding replaces all examples with "any method." Submucosal injection will not be reported if it is part of the control of bleeding procedure.
• New codes now include pre- and post-dilation and guide wire passage.
• Submucosal injection, banding or snare polypectomy for the same lesion are bundled into the code for endoscopic mucosal resection. EMR can include injection-assisted, cap-assisted and ligation-assisted techniques.
• A new definition and instructions for reporting enteroscopy will be included in the section guidelines.
• New codes have been added for stent placement and transendoscopic balloon dilation.
• New section guidelines will call for the reporting of pouch endoscopy codes for endoscopic examination of patient who has undergone resection the colon with ileo-anal anastomosis.
• Section guidelines will include specific instructions for reporting flexible sigmoidoscopy. New codes for the flexible sigmoidoscopy group include EMR and band ligation. Revised codes focus on ablation and stent placement reporting.
Colonoscopy through stoma
• New codes for the colonoscopy through stoma group include EMR, submucosal injection, balloon dilation, EUS, EUS with FNA and decompression of pathologic distention. Revised codes focus on ablation and stent placement reporting.
• New codes for the colonoscopy group include EMR, band ligation and decompression for pathologic distention. Revised codes focus on ablation and stent placement reporting.
• A new cod and a revised code have been created to separate unlisted procedures of the colon from unlisted procedures of the small intestine and rectum.
CPT Copyright 2013 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Endoscopy device market to reach $36.9B in 2019
Tennessee endoscopy centers partner with MDSave for colonoscopy bundled pricing: 5 key points
ASGE wins ASAE award for ambassador program
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- GI leader to know: Ismail Wadiwala of Sutter Health
- Tracy Surgery Center AAAHC accredited: 3 key notes
- Tenet shares plummet 18.7% in 52-week period: 4 points
- Valeant, EyeGate agree on ocular surgery-facing device licensing agreement: 4 key notes
- Judge grants Anthem's motion for swift appeal in merger case: 3 key notes