ACG, AGA, ASGE Respond to CMS Move Towards Medicare Rate Transparency: 4 Insights
1. Harry E. Sarles Jr., MD, FACG, president of the ACG; John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, president of the AGA; and Colleen M. Schmitt, MD, MHS, FASGE, president of the ASGE, released a joint statement reacting to the proposed changes and expressing hope for further progress.
2. The proposed changes to the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule aim to establish more transparent payment rates and allow for more public input before rates are set. The American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy issued a joint statement expressing encouragement for the move towards transparency.
3. In the joint statement, the three societies express concern over colonoscopy reimbursement. The procedure is one of the major codes under CMS review that are scheduled for decision making in 2015. The ACG, AGA and ASGE request that CMS delays revision to these codes, including colonoscopy, or creates another avenue for input on proposed reimbursement changes. The groups argue that publishing changes to colonoscopy reimbursement in the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Final Rule in November allows fewer than 60 days to prepare for the changes.
4. The GI societies call for three key elements in the Medicare rate-setting process including:
• Stakeholder participation
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Transitioning From GI Office-Based Practice to ASC: 4 Blunders to Avoid
3 Things to Know About the Value of Colonoscopy Initiative
5 Things to Know About Polypectomy Rate & ADR Correlation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
GI leader to know: Dr. Donald Kirby of Cleveland ClinicRead Now
- Financial analysts give Tenet top value score, AmSurg CEO Christopher Holden sells 3k company shares & more – 5 ASC company key notes
- FDA clears 3 GI/endoscopy devices in June
- Yankton Medical Clinic ASC gets accreditation
- 11 GI/endoscopy center openings, plans & acquisitions in 2015
- 5 facts on new test able to detect infectious disease