ACG, AGA, ASGE Meet With CMS to Discuss GI Value & Reimbursement: 4 Things to Know
met May 22 with CMs administrator Marilyn Tavenner to discuss key issues relating to colonoscopy and GI services.
Harry Sarles Jr., MD, FACG, president of the ACG; John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, president of the AGA; and Colleen M. Schmitt, MD, MHS, FASGE, president of the ASGE, met with Ms. Tavenner to discuss three issues important to the GI community.
1. The three society presidents focused on three key issues.
• Public health value of colonoscopy
• Fairness and transparency in the Medicare rulemaking policy and the need to allow the GI community more time to comment on proposed rules and changes
• Reimbursement cuts
2. Earlier this year, the three societies met on Capitol Hill for a briefing on reducing colorectal cancer. "This event kicked off the initiative The Value of Colonoscopy: Saving Lives Through Expert Care — a unique partnership of ACG, AGA and ASGE that educates both policymakers and patients on the value of colonoscopy and the gastroenterologists that perform this life-saving procedure," said Harry Sarles Jr., MD, FACG, in a Becker's ASC Review report.
3. The AGA, along with its two sister societies, has been advocating for more transparency from CMS since the release of the release of the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Final Rule, which included reimbursement cuts to upper GI endoscopy services. Thus far, these efforts have garnered support from 47 House of Representative members, who sent a letter to CMS.
4. The three society presidents stressed the importance of ensuring that colonoscopy reimbursement reflects the public health value of the procedure. The GI societies have also banded together to protest payment cuts to upper GI/endoscopy services.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
6 Gastroenterologists & Colorectal Surgeons on Improving the National Colorectal Cancer Screening Rate
Are Gastroenterologists Embracing Price Transparency?
Carnegie Hill Endoscopy Named First Fuse Center of Excellence: 5 Things to Know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
Skiff Medical Center acquires FUJIFILM technology, EndoChoice refinances debt & more – 5 GI/endoscopy company key notesRead Now
- Immunotherapy may extend pancreatic cancer patient survival: 6 key notes
- WAMC Gastrointestinal Endoscopy unit receives recognition for excellence: 5 key notes
- Woman wins $1.5M in verdict after Bloomsburg University Nurse Anesthesia Program dismissal
- 4 things to know about rising rates of chlorine-resistant parasite
- Drew Memorial Hospital discuss plans for new surgery center project: 5 key notes