8 Statistics on Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
• 10 percent of cases occur in patients under 18 years old.
• As many as 1.4 million people in the U.S. have IBD.
• The overall economic burden of IBD is more than $1.7 billion.
• Each year, IBD results in 700,000 physician visits.
• Each year, IBD results in 100,000 hospitalizations.
• 119,000 patients each year experience disability due to IBD.
• Over time, 75 percent of Crohn's disease patients will require surgery.
• Over time, 25 percent of ulcerative colitis patients will require surgery.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Physician Health: How Do Gastroenterologists Compare to Other Specialties?
10 Statistics on GI/Endoscopy Revenue Per Case Across the US
6 Statistics on Liver Disease in the US
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
4 Recent GI-Driven Center Openings & Technology AcquisitionsRead Now
- "Joining an ACO, Being Employed by the Hospital, Immediate Benefits and Drawbacks and Long Term Prospects for the Spine Surgeon"
- ASC Payer Trends: Evolving Market Creates Opportunities for ASCs
- 4 Recent GI-Driven Center Openings & Technology Acquisitions
- CASA Welcomes 9 New Surgery Center Members
- Beverly Hills Surgery Center Hosts 1st Single-Site Robotic Hysterectomy in LA