75 Gastroenterologist Moves & Honors in 2014
Email Carrie Pallardy at firstname.lastname@example.org to recommend a gastroenterologist for an upcoming list of GI leadership moves.
1. John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, began his term as the new president of the American Gastroenterological Association at the close of Digestive Disease Week in Chicago.
The American Gastroenterological Association granted nine gastroenterologists with its AGA 2014 recognition award. The following are award recipients:
2. Gary W. Falk, MD, MS, AGAF: Distinguished Clinician Award
3. Gregory J. Gores, MD, AGAF: Distinguished Mentor Award
4. Joseph C. Kolars, MD, AGAF: Distinguished Educator Award
5. Nicholas F. LaRusso, MD, AGAF: Julius Friedenwald Medal
6. Robert S. Sandler, MD, MPH, AGAF: Distinguished Mentor Award
7. Jose Serrano, MD, PhD: Research Service Award
8. Nicholas J. Talley MD, PhD, AGAF: Distinguished Educator Award
9. Howard L. Taubin, MD: Distinguished Clinician Award
10. John A. Williams, MD, PhD: Distinguished Achievement Award
The American Gastroenterological Association Research Foundation announced its 2014 AGA Research Scholars. The 2014 gastroenterologist scholars include:
11. Catherine J. Hunter, MD, of Northwestern University in Chicago
12. Benjamin Lebwohl, MD, MS, of Columbia University in New York
13. Laura D. Wood, MD, PhD, of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore
The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy granted 26 physicians awards during its ASGE Crystal Awards ceremony held during Digestive Disease Week. Award recipients include:
14. Jun-Hyung Cho, MD: Endoscopic Audiovisual Award
15. Jun-Ho Choi, MD: Cook Medical Dreyer Award
16. Alison de Lima, MD: Diversity Award
17. Ashley L. Faulx, MD, FASGE: Distinguished Educator Award
18. Khean-Lee Goh, MD, FASGE: International Service Award
19. Ikuo Hirano, MD: Endoscopic Research Award
20. Shahzad Iqbal, MD: Cook Medical Don Wilson Award
21. Tonya R. Kaltenbach, MD, FASGE: Distinguished Educator Award, Endoscopic Audiovisual Award
22. Scott A. Larson, MD, PhD: ASGE Community Outreach Award
23. John J. Meenan, MD, PhD, FRCPI, FRCP: Endoscopic Audiovisual Award
24. Klaus E. Mönkemüller, MD, PhD, FASGE: Endoscopic Research Award
25. Salman Nusrat, MD: Quality Endoscopic Research Award
26. Mohamed Othman, MD: Diversity Award
27. Daniel Popa, MD: Cook Medical Don Wilson Award
28. Gottumukkala S. Raju, MD, FASGE: Distinguished Service Award
29. Chirag Shah, MD: Cook Medical Don Wilson Award
30. Prateek Sharma, MD: Distinguished Endoscopic Mentoring Award
31. Jerome H. Siegl, MD, FASGE: Rudolf V. Schindler Award
32. Vikesh Singh, MD, MSc: Endoscopic Research Award
33. Roy M. Soetikno, MD, FASGE: Master Endoscopist Award
34. Shou Jiang Tang, MD, FASGE: Endoscopic Audiovisual Award
35. Anthony Teoh, MD: Endoscopic Research Award
36. George Triadafilopoulos, MD, DSs, FASGE: President's Award
37. Hank S. Wang, MD: Outstanding Manuscript Award
38. Ping-Hong Zhou, MD: Cook Medical Dreyer Award
39. Tobias Zuchelli, MD: ASGE Community Outreach Award
40. Victor Araya, MD, associated with Central Bucks Specialists, joined the Doylestown (Pa.) Hospital.
41. Razi Arifuddin, MD, joined Annadel Medical Group, a part of St. Joseph Healthcare in Santa Rosa, Calif.
42. Brian Baggott, MD, joined Cleveland Clinic.
43. Biopharmaceutical company Amicus Therapeutics named pediatric gastroenterologist Jay Barth, MD, its chief medical officer.
44. Faisal Bhinder, MD, recently joined Capital Digestive Care in Rockville, MD. Dr. Bhinder is an advanced interventional therapeutic endoscopist.
45. Brian Bosworth, MD, has been elected president of the New York Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Dr. Bosworth is also the Anne and Ken Estabrook Clinical Scholar in Gastroenterology and an associate professor of medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York.
46. Mitchell Cohen, MD, has been elected the physician-in-chief of Children's Alabama and named chair of the pediatrics department of the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine.
47. Ramon Colina, MD, has joined Intercoastal Medical Group. He will offer care at the practice's Sarasota, Fla., location.
48. Gregory Diamonti, MD, of Gastroenterology Associates in Hickory, N.C., earned the American College of Gastroenterology fellowship designation, FACG.
49. Myron Falchuk, MD, an AmSurg partner with the Boston Endoscopy Center, was recently featured in Jerome Groopman, MD's book How Doctors Think.
50. The Colon Cancer Alliance granted Marios Giannakis, MD, PhD, its first ever Blue Hope Research Awards. The award will provide him with funding to further his research on personalized care for colorectal cancer patients.
51. Nicholas Golden, MD, joined Cleveland Clinic.
52. The family of Eugene Greenberg, MD, has given Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Ill., a $1 million gift to honor his career. The donation will be used to establish the Dr. Eugene Greenberg Institute for Digestive Health.
53. Robert Hardi, MD, AGAF, CPI, of Capital Digestive Care, has been named president of the Academy of Physicians in Clinical Research.
54. Donald J. Hermens, MD, moved to Ukiah, Calif., and joined Ukiah Valley Medical Specialties Gastroenterology.
55. Pharmaceutical contract research organization WCCT Global appointed John Hong, MD, MBA, as its head of GI Clinical Research.
56. Omar Khan, MD, joined Loyola University Health System. Dr. Khan will also serve as an assistant professor in the gastroenterology and nutrition division at Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine.
57. Colorectal surgeon Marc Levitt, MD, will join the pediatric surgery department of Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. In his new position, Dr. Levitt will lead the establishment of a Center for Colorectal and Pelvic Reconstruction.
58. Don Mackler, MD, joined Hutcheson Gastroenterology, affiliated with Hutcheson Medical Center in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Dr. Mackler performs procedures at the medical center and its new outpatient GI lab.
59. Suma S. Magge, MD, recently joined Norwalk (Conn.) Hospital Physicians and Surgeons.
60. Thomas Malloy, MD, joined Essentia Health-Duluth (Minn.) Clinic.
61. Justin Marasigan, DO, joined Grays Harbor Community Hospital in Aberdeen, Wash.
62. Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wis., added Christian Mendez, MD. Dr. Mendez focuses on general gastroenterology, colon cancer screening and chronic liver disease.
63. The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy named Girish Mishra, MD, chairman of its publications committee.
64. During its "Doctor's Day" celebration, Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital recognized Kumara Peddamatham, MD, as the physician with the "Best Bedside Manner."
65. Raja Sappati, MD, recently joined Phoebe Gastroenterology Associates in Albany, Ga. Dr. Sappati has brought the practice knowledge of endoscopic ultrasound technology.
66. Corey J. Sievers, MD, joined Summa Health System and its medical group Summa Physicians in Akron, Ohio.
67. Gilbert Simoni, MD, opened a new, larger office location in Thousand Oaks, Calif.
68. Pediatric gastroenterologist Edwin Simper, MD, has been named president and CEO of St. Mary's Hospital for Children in Bayside, N.Y.
69. Jonathan Sternlieb, MD, FACG, has been selected as the chief medical information officer of Abington (Pa.) Health.
70. Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wis., added Sebastian Strobel, MD. Dr. Strobel focuses on Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, gastrointestinal motility and the study of the human microbiome.
71. The American Gastroenterological Association granted Howard L. Taubin, MD, Bridgeport (Conn.) Hospital board of directors chairman, the 2014 AGA Distinguished Clinician Award for outstanding leadership and excellence in gastroenterology.
72. Mae Kelly Tighe, MD, joined the gastroenterology section at Danbury (Conn.) Hospital.
73. SeraCare Life Sciences, a provider of biological products, named Jack Wands, MD, as the founding member of its Science Advisory Board.
74. Duane Webb, MD, joined Olympic Medical Physicians, a division of Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles, Wash.
75. The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases presented QiQi Zhou, MD, PhD, a $1.7 million grant for research on IBD and IBS.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Pay-for-Performance, Patient Communication, Quality Reporting & More: 3 Gastroenterologists on the Most Exciting Challenges in Healthcare
Value-Based Payments: 6 Important Dates for Gastroenterologists to Know
AGA, Gastric Cancer Foundation Joint Grant to Support Gastric Cancer Research
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Nurse leadership primer: 20 key points on finding, supporting & being a great nurse leader
- GI leader to know: Dr. Brett Thorpe of Provo Gastroenterology
- Manhattan Spine & Pain now AAAHC accredited: 3 key notes
- United to Protect Democracy calls for investigation into White House's role in blocked Anthem, Cigna merger: 4 key notes
- Demand for HAI prevention, control measures spurring hand hygiene market growth: 4 things to know