5 Things to Know About Gastroenterologist Compensation
Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2012.
1. Nearly one-third of gastroenterologists reported compensation decreases in 2011 versus 2010 while 28 percent reported increases. The remaining gastroenterologists said their compensation stayed the same.
2. The average gastroenterologist reported earning around $303,000 in 2011, which was slightly more than in 2010. They were among the top six specialists in annual earnings and about 15 percent reported earning $500,000 or more.
3. The highest compensating region of the country for gastroenterologists in 2011 was the Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming) with an average of $372,000. The lowest was the north central region (Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, North and South Dakota) at $195,000 on average.
4. Single-specialty practices offered the highest average compensation opportunity in 2011, with gastroenterologists reporting $409,000. Solo practice gastroenterologists reported around $323,000 on average in 2011.
5. Approximately 51 percent of gastroenterologists reported feeling fairly compensated, and only 14 percent considered themselves "rich." Around 50 percent said that debts and expenses made it so that they didn't feel rich, despite public perception of physicians being highly compensated.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Covenant Surgical Partners Affiliates With 5 Surgery Centers
7 Recent GI or Endoscopy-Driven ASC Transactions
Yale University Names Dr. John I. Allen Clinical Chief of Gastroenterology
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
enGene raises $11.5M for intestinal gene delivery platform developmentRead Now
- 5 fresh ideas for differentiating your ASC
- 5 recent ASC industry acquisitions
- Physician employment vs. private practice: 14 statistics on pay, satisfaction & more
- BCBSA report: Hip, knee replacement billing can vary widely in the same market
- The Surgery Center of Genesee County achieves accreditation