The National Institutes of Health funds research for more than 200 different diseases and health issues through grants, contracts and various funding mechanisms. Here are five statistics on the amount of funding the NIH dedicated to various digestive diseases and cancers in 2013, according to the Estimates of Funding for Various Research, Condition and Disease Categories report.
• Colorectal cancer: $281 million
• Crohn's disease: $61 million
• Digestive diseases (general): $1.58 billion
• Digestive diseases (gallbladder): $10 million
• Digestive diseases (peptic ulcer): $19 million
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
ASCA, U.S. Rep. Charlie Dent Partner to Promote Colorectal Cancer Screening
7 Gastroenterologists on Benchmarking & Colonoscopy Quality (Part 2)
Covenant Endoscopy Center to Offer Free Colonoscopy Screenings
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.