3 Things to Know About the Value of Colonoscopy Initiative
The Value of Colonoscopy: Saving Lives Through Expert Care initiative thus far.
1. The American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy have banded together to create the initiative, which highlights the importance of colonoscopy to both patients and policymakers. The collaboration aims to improve care, boost affordability and support community health. "The goal of the initiative is to ensure access to life-saving colorectal cancer screening procedures while working together to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare for all Americans," said AGA Institute President John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, in a recent Becker's ASC Review article.
2. Through their partnership, the three GI societies are actively advocating for more transparency in the Medicare rate-setting process. Their efforts have gained legislative support. Earlier this spring, the U.S. House of Representatives sent CMS administrator Marilyn Tavenner a letter calling for more transparency. The letter was signed by nearly 50 members of Congress.
3. The three society presidents, Harry Sarles Jr., MD, FACG, president of the ACG; John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, president of the AGA; and Colleen M. Schmitt, MD, MHS, FASGE, president of the ASGE, also met with Ms. Tavenner to discuss the public health value of colonoscopy, the issue of transparency in the Medicare rulemaking policy and reimbursement cuts to GI procedures.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Gastrointestinal Associates Partner With VA to Provide Care in East Tennessee
Tactics to Curb 4 of the Top Endoscopy Center Cost Drivers
4 Things to Know About Gastroenterologist Burnout
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
Is anesthesia dosage adjusted appropriately for different ages? Study says noRead Now
- 49 hospitals & health systems opening, announcing ASCs in 2014
- Nueterra Global Alliance forges partnership in Canada
- gMed completes initial adoption of ASGE/ACG colonoscopy quality metrics
- Covidien's capsule endoscopy featured in Cooper Hewitt exhibit in New York
- Could healthcare benefit from a single-payer system?