3 Things to Know About the Value of Colonoscopy Initiative
1. The American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy have banded together to create the initiative, which highlights the importance of colonoscopy to both patients and policymakers. The collaboration aims to improve care, boost affordability and support community health. "The goal of the initiative is to ensure access to life-saving colorectal cancer screening procedures while working together to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare for all Americans," said AGA Institute President John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, in a recent Becker's ASC Review article.
2. Through their partnership, the three GI societies are actively advocating for more transparency in the Medicare rate-setting process. Their efforts have gained legislative support. Earlier this spring, the U.S. House of Representatives sent CMS administrator Marilyn Tavenner a letter calling for more transparency. The letter was signed by nearly 50 members of Congress.
3. The three society presidents, Harry Sarles Jr., MD, FACG, president of the ACG; John I. Allen, MD, MBA, AGAF, president of the AGA; and Colleen M. Schmitt, MD, MHS, FASGE, president of the ASGE, also met with Ms. Tavenner to discuss the public health value of colonoscopy, the issue of transparency in the Medicare rulemaking policy and reimbursement cuts to GI procedures.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
Gastrointestinal Associates Partner With VA to Provide Care in East Tennessee
Tactics to Curb 4 of the Top Endoscopy Center Cost Drivers
4 Things to Know About Gastroenterologist Burnout
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's GI & Endoscopy
Dr. Lawrence Hoberman creates chewable probiotics for kids: 4 key notesRead Now
- GI society roundtable: Putting together the game plan for potential colonoscopy cuts
- 5 critical steps to developing an ASC risk management program
- Researchers reconstruct ancient virus to enhance gene therapy — 5 notes
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Jacques Van Dam of USC's Keck School Medicine
- Reducing medical residents' hours may not decrease surgical deaths — 6 notes