10-Step Endoscope Reprocessing Checklist
ASC Quality Collaboration offers an Endoscope Reprocessing Toolkit, which pulls policies and tips from several sources. Here are is a 10-step endoscopy reprocessing check list from Hospital Corporation of America.
1. Define a process for reprocessing flexible endoscopes.
2. Use and dilute pre-cleaning detergents as instructed by manufacturers.
3. Place soiled endoscopes in solution immediately after us.
4. Completely disassemble and leak test endoscopes after each use.
5. Rinse endoscopes and channels with filtered water followed by 70 percent alcohol rinse.
6. Dry rinsed endoscopes and channels with forced medical air.
7. Perform a visual inspection for cleanliness after the final rinse.
8. Dry and store disinfected endoscopes away from reprocessing areas.
9. Define chemical agents, concentrations, exposure times and exposure temperatures.
10. Perform and document machine system repair and maintenance of automated machines per manufacturer's instructions.
More Articles on Gastroenterology:
4 GI/Endoscopy Devices Receive FDA 510(k) Clearance in April
Reimbursement Pressure: Will Gastroenterologists Stop Accepting Medicare & Medicaid Patients?
Olympus Launches New System for Small Bowel Capsule Endoscopy
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review