|Latest News & Analysis|
1. 6 Factors Contributing to Increase in ASC Mergers and Acquisitions.
2. Average Charge and Payment Data for 7 Lower-GI Procedures Commonly Performed in ASCs.
3. 7 Interesting Statistics and Facts About Office-Based Physician Visits By Specialty.
4. 20 Healthcare Trends and Observations, by Scott Becker, JD, CPA, Bart Walker, JD, and Elaine Gilmer, JD.
5. We have received several nominations for outstanding ASCs at which to work. Please nominate an ASC that is a great place to work by e-mailing Scott Becker:
6. 10 More Women Leaders to Know in the ASC Industry. To see the complete list of outstanding woman leaders to know, see the Nov./Dec. issue of the Becker's ASC Review.
7. Jim Lynch, MD, a Mayo Clinic-trained spine surgery and national leader in spine, is presenting a talk at the fall ASC conference, "A Case-Study Approach to Building an ASC." Register now for the conference, Oct. 23 to 25 in Chicago; space is running out!
8. Ambulatory Surgical Centers of America has been one of the most active and successful companies this year in acquiring ASCs that are in turnaround situations and need assistance. To learn more about ASCOA and to discuss your own ASC, contact Dr. Brent Lambert (firstname.lastname@example.org), Luke Lambert (email@example.com), call (866) 982-7262 or visit ASCOA online.
9. Woodrum/ASD has announced its affiliation with the Surgical Center for Excellence in Panama City, Fla. Woodrum/ASD manages 25 ASCs throughout the United States and is one of the oldest and most successful surgery center companies.
10. Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center Ordered to Pay Patient $2.3 Million for Unnecessary Procedure.
11. Please join Amkai for a complimentary Web seminar that will quickly get you up to speed on the latest advances in information management technology for surgery centers, surgical hospitals, and affiliated surgical practices. Mark your calendar for Oct. 21 from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Eastern, and register now:
12. Sheldon S. Sones, RPh, FASCP: FDA Issues Warning About Unapproved Ophthalmic Balanced Salt Solution Drug Products.
13. Laserfiche Announces Launch of Rio, an Enterprise Content Management Solution.
|From the VMG Health Intellimarker: Who Owns ASCs?
"After a slowdown in growth during the healthcare consolidation phase of the late '80s and early '90s, surgery center growth has again accelerated," reports the Intellimarker. Here is a breakdown of the latest statistics on ASC ownership structure, according to the VMG Health Intellimarker. This is based on a survey of 232 surgery centers.
1. All-physician -- 61.0 percent
2. Hospital-physician -- 16 percent
3. Physican and operation -- 11 percent
4. Corporate-hospital -- 2 percent
5. Corporate-only -- 0.7 percent
6. Hospital-only -- 0.3 percent
To receive a free copy of the VMG Health Intellimarker, the single best benchmarking resource in the ASC industry, click here. Learn more about VMG Health.
|Seeking Nominations for Lists -- Highlight Your Surgical Facility or Company
We are seeking nominations for several upcoming lists. If you have suggestions or nominations for any of the following, please e-mail Scott Becker.
1. For the Jan./Feb. issue of the Becker's ASC Review, we are looking for nominations for 40 management and development companies to watch. It's been a fascinating year: A few of the companies have merged out of existences and a handful of new companies have emerged. We've added 5 new companies and are always interested in suggestions. This is limited to management and development companies.
2. We are seeking to feature 10 hospital CEOs to know for the January issue of The Hospital Review. On a related note, if you'd like a free one-year subscription to The Hospital Review, please e-mail Rob Kurtz or e-mail Matt Leemkuil.
|Fewer Than 20 Registration
Spots Left for
Fall ASC Conference Oct.
23-25 -- Register Today!
15th Annual Improving Profits and Business and Legal
Issues for ASCs
Presented by ASC Communications and the Ambulatory Surgery Foundation
Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Chicago
Oct. 23 to 25
We have added rooms to our block, but it is again nearly sold out.
Book your hotel ASAP. The Sheraton Hotel and Towers has set aside
special group rates for conference attendees. Please contact the hotel
directly to make your reservation. Be sure to mention you are
attending the ASC Conference in order to receive the discounted group
To make a reservation, go to www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/ASC102008, or call
(800) 325-3535 or (312) 464-1000.
Group room rates:
Standard - $289 (single) or $319 (double)
Club Rooms - $364 (single) or $394 (double)
Here are five great examples of topics that will be covered at the
1. Making Urology a Success in Your ASC -- Bill Mobley, MD,
Urological Associates; Herb Riemenschneider, MD, Knightsbridge Surgery
2. How to Reduce Hours Per Case; How to Recruit and Retain Great Directors of Nursing and Staff -- Lisa Cooper, Administrator, El Camino Surgery Center; Mary Sturm, SVP of Clinical Operations, Surgical Management Professionals; Michelle Smith, Director of Clinical Operations, Nueterra
3. Which Back-Office Services Can you Effectively Outsource? - What
Works; What Doesn't Work - What Are the Costs and Benefits? --
Steve Dobias, Principal, Somerset CPAs; Tom Jacobs, President and
4. General Surgery in ASCs - Why More General Surgeons Are Moving to
ASCs; Are General Surgeons Worth Pursuing as Partners? -- Tom
Galouzis, MD, President, Lake Park Surgicare
5. Primary Care Physicians as Procedurists in ASCs -- Steve Lloyd,
MD, Medical Endoscopy of South Carolina
To see the entire agenda, download the conference
There are four ways to register:
1. Fill out and mail or fax the registration form in the conference
2. Call (703) 836-5904 or (800) 417-2035.
3. Register online by clicking
4. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * *
Contact us toll-free: (800) 417-2035
|Featured E-Weekly Advertisers
1. Heffernan Insurance Brokers. HBI has developed an insurance program specifically for the ASC industry, using A-rated insurers that provide medical malpractice coverage and a package policy that addresses directors and officers, employment practices, and fiduciary liability exposures in one police. Learn more about HIB.
2. Ambulatory Surgical Group. ASG manages an extensive network of industry professionals to improve the operating and financial results of your ASC including banking, legal, accounting, architectural and construction, project financing, group purchasing, and equipment and supply vendors. Learn more about ASG.
3. Amkai. Amkai is a software company with 20-plus years of experience delivering administrative and clinical solutions to ASCs, surgical hospitals and physician practices. The company is a silver sponsor of the Oct. ASC conference. Read more about Amkai.
|Thank You to 10 Great Companies
1. National Surgical Care. National Surgical Care, a nationwide owner and operator of ambulatory surgical centers, focuses on addressing the needs and problems confronting surgery centers across the country. Learn more about NSC.
2. Amkai. Amkai is a software company with 20-plus years of experience delivering administrative and clinical solutions to ASCs, surgical hospitals and physician practices. The company is a silver sponsor of the Oct. ASC conference. Read more about Amkai.
3. Implantable Provider Group. IPG works with providers,
facilities, manufacturers and commercial payors to fully manage all
aspects of high-cost implantable medical devices. Read more about IPG.
4. Pinnacle III. Pinnacle III specializes in the operational development, management, select management, and billing for ASCs. Learn more about Pinnacle.
5. CIT Healthcare. CIT Healthcare offers a full spectrum of financing solutions and related advisory services to companies across the healthcare industry. Read more about CIT.
6. Blue Chip Surgical Center Partners. Founded by ASC veteran Jeff Leland, Blue Chip is focused on spine and multi-specialty ASCs. Learn more about Blue Chip.
7. Manning Search Group. Roger Manning, Cathy Montgomery and their healthcare search consultant team offer middle management and executive search and recruitment with ASC-industry-specific focus. Read more about Manning Search.
8. CareCredit. CareCredit lets your patients pay their current bills in full immediately with the use of convenient monthly payments. Your center gets paid in two business days with no responsibility if the patient delays or defaults. Learn more about CareCredit.
9. Acclarent. Acclarent is dedicated to developing innovative
solutions for ENT specialists and their patients. Read more about Acclarent.
10. ASCOA. ASCOA is a leader in the ASC industry, achieving
exceptional quality of care and outstanding financial results. Learn
more about ASCOA.
For more information about print and online stories, please contact editorial.
Director of Communications