|Latest News & Analysis|
1. 6 Operational and Financial Key Indicators for ASCs.
2. 7 Managed Care Contracting Best Practices From Industry Experts.
3. Uwe Reinhardt, PhD, who was just ranked No. 32 on Modern Healthcare's list of the most powerful people in healthcare, will present the keynote speech at the fall ASC conference.
4. William Sligar, MD, will present a talk entitled "Orthopedics in ASCs -- What Works and What Doesn't From a Business and Clinical Perspective" at the fall ASC conference.
5. 9 Keys to an Optimized Revenue Cycle.
6. Four Critical Issues ASCs Should Know About: Hospital Partners, Turnarounds, Income Distributions and Opening a Second Site.
7. Wanted: Assistant Director of Business Office Operations for ASC Management/Development Firm. For more information:
8. Power of Nonprofit Hospitals Increasing, Wall Street Journal Reports.
9. Congratulations to Chuck Stokes on his appointment as chief operating officer of Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston.
10. John DiPaola, MD: Opening an ASC: The Freedom to Do My Best Work.
11. In the News: Michael Bukstein, MD, Feted by Peers.
12. New Jersey Hospitals Required to File Monthly Reports on Their Financial Health.
|How Is the Economy Affecting Your Surgical Facility?
Q: Have you seen anything that suggests that the economic downturn will slow or already has slowed growth and expansion of surgical procedures? How is your facility coping?
E-mail your thoughts to this question to Stephanie Wasek at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, title and business name for confirmation purposes (you may request that we publish your answer anonymously).
|Average Charge and Payment Data for 5 Orthopedic Procedures Commonly Performed in ASCs
Here is the average 2007 Medicare sub charge (submitted charges divided by allowed services), average allow charge (Medicare-allowed charges divided by allowed services, including co-pays and deductibles paid by patient), and average payment (Medicare payments divided by allowed services, not including co-pays and deductibles paid by patient) for five orthopedic procedures commonly performed in ASCs.
1. Obtaining small amount of bone for graft (CPT 20900)
- average sub charge: $2,060
- average allow charge $294
- average payment: $231
2. Open surgical partial removal of collar bone (CPT 23120)
- average sub charge: $3,793
- average allow charge $477
- average payment: $376
3. Partial repair or removal of shoulder bone (CPT 23130)
- average sub charge: $4,027
- average allow charge $478
- average payment: $377
4. Open repair of rotator cuff, recent (CPT 23410)
- average sub charge: $4,947
- average allow charge $671
- average payment: $530
5. Open repair of rotator cuff, old (CPT 23412)
- average sub charge: $5,556
- average allow charge $984
- average payment: $777
To see the data for the full list of 13 orthopedic procedures provided by CMS, click here.
|Gain Practical Guidance You Can Apply to Your ASC Immediately; Register for ASC Conference Oct. 23-25
15th Annual Improving Profits and Business and Legal Issues for ASCs
Presented by ASC Communications and the Ambulatory Surgery Foundation
Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Chicago
Oct. 23 to 25
We have added rooms to our block, but it is again nearly sold out. Book your hotel ASAP. The Sheraton Hotel and Towers has set aside special group rates for conference attendees. Please contact the hotel directly to make your reservation. Be sure to mention you are attending the ASC Conference in order to receive the discounted group rate.
To make a reservation, go to www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/ASC102008, or call (800) 325-3535 or (312) 464-1000.
Group room rates:
Standard - $289 (single) or $319 (double)
Club Rooms - $364 (single) or $394 (double)
There have been some changes to the program agenda; here are some of the new speakers not listed in the brochure:
1. Mark Swirsky -- "4 Different Methods to Improve Your ASC -- Recruiting and Physician Buy-Ins, Collections, Patient Financing" -- Thursday, Oct. 23, 4-5 p.m.
2. Kevin McDonough -- "Using Benchmarking to Measure Risks and the Real Value of Physician Shares in an ASC" -- Friday, Oct. 24, 2:10-2:45 p.m.
3. William Sligar, MD -- "Orthopedics in ASCs -- What Works and What Doesn't From a Business and Clinical Perspective" -- Friday, Oct. 24, 4:20-4:55 p.m.
4. Sarah Martin -- "10 Ways to Maximize the ROI and Use of your ASC's IT System" -- Saturday, Oct. 25, 9-9:40 a.m.
5. Robin J. Fowler -- "Should Your Anesthesia Providers Be Owners of Your ASC, Be an Employee of Your ASC, Both or Neither?" -- Saturday, Oct. 25, 9:45-10:20 a.m.
To see the entire agenda, download the conference brochure (PDF).
There are four ways to register:
1. Fill out and mail or fax the registration form in the conference brochure.
2. Call (703) 836-5904 or (800) 417-2035.
3. Register online by clicking here.
4. E-mail email@example.com.
* * *
Contact us toll-free: (800) 417-2035
|Construction and Architectural Firms to Know
1. Erdman (A Cogdell Spencer Company). As an integrated provider, Erdman offers service from facility conception to completion, including advance planning, development, design and construction. Learn more about Erdman.
2. McShane Medical Properties. McShane Medical Properties is an integrated design/build construction and real estate development firm offering comprehensive services for the healthcare industry. Read more about McShane.
3. AMB Development Group. AMB Development Group specializes exclusively in the development of ambulatory care facilities nationwide, including surgery centers, medical office buildings, clinics, imaging centers and outpatient centers. Read more about AMB.
4. Marasco & Associates. Marasco & Associates is a national architecture and consulting firm, dedicated to providing quality facility design and development assistance for outpatient medical facilities, private physician groups, hospitals and institutional clients. Read more about Marasco.
5. Irmscher Construction. Irmscher is a 115-year old national healthcare project development firm specializing in the design and construction of healthcare facilities. Read more about Irmscher.
6. BBL Medical Facilities. BBL Medical Facilities is a single-source business unit with plan, design, build and development capabilities, and has been developing attractive, efficient and cost-effective medical facilities for more than 30 years. Learn more about BBL.
7. Clayco. Clayco, a privately owned real estate, architecture, engineering, design-build and construction firm, serves the healthcare industry. Read more about Clayco.
8. L3 Healthcare Design. L3 Healthcare Design is a surgery center design and research firm, focused on ASCs and clinics. Learn more about L3.
9. Lauth Property Group. Lauth Property Group is a leader in the development, construction, management and ownership of commercial real estate throughout the United States for the past 30 years. Read more about Lauth.
10. Leopardo Construction. Leopardo Construction is a leading construction company offering preconstruction, general contracting, construction management, design-build and development services across several vertical industries. Learn more about Leopardo.
11. MedBridge Development. MedBridge Development is a medical facility development and management company creating state-of-the-art healthcare delivery environments in partnership with leading physicians. Read more about MedBridge.
|Upcoming ASC Events
15th Improving Profitability, and Business and Legal Issues for ASCs|
Oct. 23 to 25, 2008
For a complete list of upcoming events, click here
Becker's ASC Review Subscriber Benefits
As a Becker's ASC Review
subscriber, you are entitled to the following benefits:
1. Becker's ASC Review delivered to your door;
2. subscriber discounts on the audio conference registrations;
3. $100 off registration for the June conference;
4. $50 off registration for both the October conference; and
5. a free copy of the VMG Health Intellimarker benchmarking survey.
To subscribe to the Becker's ASC Review
, go to www.BeckersASC.com
For more information about print and online stories, please contact editorial.
Director of Communications