Daily Stipends Most Common Form of On-Call Physician Compensation
Medical Directorship and On-Call Compensation Survey: 2012 Report Based on 2011 Data.
Roughly 30 percent of physicians included in MGMA's survey said they receive daily stipends for days on-call. Here are 13 statistics on how daily stipends differed among different physician specialties. (Note: All statistics are median stipend figures per day of on-call coverage.)
• Anesthesiologists: $1,500
• Internal medicine physicians: $1,000
• Noninvasive cardiologists: $650
• Family medicine physicians (without obstetrics): $100
Medical group type
• Anesthesiologists in multispecialty practices received $760 more per day in median on-call compensation than anesthesiologists in single-specialty practices.
• Neurosurgeons in single-specialty practices received $800 more per day in median on-call compensation than neurosurgeons in multispecialty practices.
• Invasive-interventional cardiologists earned 30 percent more in single-specialty practices than those in multispecialty practices.
• General surgeons in the East: $920
• General surgeons in the Midwest: $500
• General surgeons in the South: $854
• General surgeons in the West: $1,000
• Neurosurgeon range across all regions: $1,600 to $1,830
More Articles on Physician Compensation:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.