What Are ASC Success Indicators for the Future?
Jessica Nantz: The most promising sign is the recognition by parties outside of the ASC industry about the critical role ASCs play in healthcare and will play in the future of healthcare.
More and more hospitals and health systems are aligning themselves with ASCs, which is a stark contrast to the adversarial position most hospitals were taking just seven to 10 years ago.
Payers are increasingly seeing the value of moving cases from the inpatient setting to the lower cost, high quality outpatient setting. More payors are providing coverage of higher acuity cases, including spine and total joint procedures.
In addition, an OIG report published in April noted that procedures performed in ASCs have saved Medicare more than $1 billion in each of the last several years and, but that reimbursement changes are presenting challenges for growth. The ASC industry continues to push for better reimbursement for ASCs, and such reports provide strong support for this argument.
After many years of uncertainty in the industry, well-run ASCs are finding themselves in a strong position — they're garnering significant, positive attention from hospitals, payers, management and development companies, and the government.
More Articles on Surgery Centers:
Trending ASC Market Activity in 2014: 9 Articles
3 ASCs With Robotic Orthopedics Technology
AmSurg Acquires Sheridan Healthcare
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- FDA approves Janssen Biotech's STELARA; Boston Scientific leads GI/endoscopic device market & more: 7 GI company key notes
- Outpatient hip resurfacing lowers cost up to 60%: 5 study insights
- Drs. Ashish Gangasani, Paul Kyser, Moises Sidransky and Umair Sohail join East Texas Medical Center: 4 takeaways
- Kevin Moore joins Wisc.-based Aurora Health Care as Medicaid expert: 3 takeaways
- Increasing the bottom line by managing your technology infrastructure