Physician Ownership Drives Success of a Successful Pain ASC
“When you have a physician that is part of the business and a partner of the business, it does change the way that they work,” says Mr. Rosenbaum.
Specifically, ownership in an ASC increases the likelihood the physician will actively refer to the center. It also makes the physicians more cost-conscious around supplies and equipment needs.
Physician owners are also likely to invest resources in improving the patient journey and demonstrating value, since both enhance the competitiveness of a center.
“A surgery center is nothing but a warehouse,” said Dr. Fowler, calling physicians the “locomotive” pushing the center forward. “Physicians certainly need to know, want to know and deserve to know what their value is.”
Dr. Fowler also noted the importance of financial incentives for all employees and physicians. “We have incentives at every step of our organization,” he said. Even the transporters receive the opportunity to receive an incentive bonus for providing speedy and high-level service.
“That corporate level of service brings everyone together,” he said.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
Dr. Jacquelyn Short joins LaFollette Eye ClinicRead Now
- 12 tips to negotiate a deal more effectively
- ASC stock report — 5 key company updates
- New EndoChoice slim scope, US Endoscopy distribution agreement & more – 6 GI/endoscopy company key notes
- VisionCare completes financing for commercialization of telescope implant
- House committee chairmen release joint statement on ICD-10 implementation