According to a report from AAOS Now, The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services have redesigned the Physician Compare Website.
AAOS Health Care System Committee Members Daniel M. Adair, MD, Samuel G. Agnew, MD, and Alexandra E. Page, MD, participated in the update, developing a list of searchable terms patients may use when looking for an orthopedic surgeon.
Here are 10 things to know about the update:
1. The website compares physicians and healthcare professionals enrolled in the Medicare program.
2. In 2014, the website will include quality of care ratings for group practices, with ratings for individuals to be added in the future. There is a 30 day period for groups to review data before being posted online, according to an AMA report.
3. Quality information from 100 or more physicians and healthcare professionals who used the reporting option in 2013 will likely be included in the near future.
4. It can take three to six months for new physicians and group practices to appear on the website after they enroll in Medicare.
5. The website includes information about physician board certification, medical school and residencies.
6. Physician affiliation with hospitals and other healthcare professionals are available on the site.
7. The website notes physician participation in the Physician Quality Reporting System.
8. Patients can see whether the physician participates in the electronic health record and electronic prescribing incentive program.
9. Patients searching for physicians can find the addresses where the physicians take appointments.
10. The American Medical Association has identified problems with the Medicare Physician Compare website after the recent update, and is now advocating for more accuracy before adding new physician information.
More Articles on Spine Surgeons:
6 Predictions & Trends Spine Surgeons Can Expect This Year
5 Methods for Spine Surgeons to Avoid Burn-Out From Dr. Amir Vokshoor
10 Key Concepts for Patient-Friendly Spine Practices
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.