How Does Healthcare Reform Affect Surgeon Salary?
Medscape News recently published an article covering how the ACA could impact physician salary, including:
1. More services are covered under preventative care and "essential health benefits," so providers will be reimbursed without relying on out-of-pocket collections.
2. Health insurance exchange plans looking to keep costs low may favor in-network providers with higher volumes and exclude high-priced providers from the network, according to the report.
3. Physicians with a high volume of Medicare patients could change their payer mix by accepting exchange patients as a way to attract younger patients, but these patients may have high out-of-pocket deductibles.
4. Healthcare reform pushes physicians toward new payment methods, such as bundled payments, shared savings and accountable care organizations, a transition that requires significant cultural change and will impact revenue cycles, according to the report.
5. New penalties going into effect in 2015 for providers not meeting the electronic medical record requirements or Physician Quality Reporting Systems participation will be levied, according to the report.More Articles on Physicians:
Orthopedic Surgeons Receive $525k Average Compensation in 2012
CORE Institute Acquires Premier Orthopedics of Tempe
Dr. Naven Duggal Joins Syracuse Orthopedic Specialists
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.