7 Things for ASC Leaders to Know for Thursday
Medicare spent $8.5B on unnecessary care.
In 2009, Medicare spent as much as $8.5 billion (2.7 percent of total spending) on services deemed to have little or no clinical value, according to a JAMA Internal Medicine study. The researchers also found 25 percent to 42 percent of beneficiaries receive low-value services. Read the full report on Becker's Hospital Review.
Ohio outpatient surgery cases increase 24.3%.
Northeast Ohio's Center for Health Affairs release a report on outpatient surgery cases performed in the state. The case volume of outpatient surgery increased 24.3 percent from 2001 to 2013. The trend may be seen on a larger scale across the country, according to the report.
HSA PrimeCare closes Indiana surgery center transaction.
HSA PrimeCare closed the purchase of APAC Medical Plaza, a multispecialty surgery center in Crown Point, Ind. Prior to the closing, HSA PrimeCare executed a long-term lease agreement with the physician group APAC Centers for Pain Management.
Gadsden Endoscopy Center acquires new technology.
Gadsden (Ala.) Endoscopy Center, affiliated with Riverview Regional Medical Center, acquired the HALO/Barrx system for the treatment of Barrett's esophagus.
Jeff Blankinship launches price transparency platform.
Jeff Blankinship, president of Surgical Notes and Surgery Center Network, founded I Need a Surgery. INS is a direct-to-consumer surgical solution and educational platform designed to bring price transparency to the field of surgery.
ACMC surgery center announces administrator appointment.
ACMC, based in Marshall, Minn., hired Andrew Mitlyng, RN, as its new administrator. The center is schedule to open in fall 2014. Mr. Mitlyng has experience in perioperative care and will coordinate the new surgery center's operations.
OrthoCarolina opens $4.9M Mallard Creek Surgery Center.
A group of 20 OrthoCarolina physicians opened the $4.9 million Mallard Creek Surgery Center in Charlotte, N.C. The physicians own a 30 percent stake in the surgery center and Gaul Surgical Properties, an affiliate of OrthoCarolina, owns the remaining 70 percent.
More Articles on ASC Issues:
Tuesday Talk: 10 ASCs Making Headlines This Week
Surgical Care Affiliates 1Q Financial Results: 5 Key Points
AmSurg, SCA, USPI & More – 6 Recent Key Notes on ASC Companies
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- PENTAX Medical launches OPTIVISTA video processor in the US, Medigus' MUSE system safe for long-term GERD treatment & more — 14 GI company key notes
- GI physicians, PCPs have differing reasons for recommending surveillance colonoscopy to seniors: 5 findings
- Approximately 50% of Crohn's disease patients receiving STELARA achieved clinical remission: 4 insights from a new study
- VA proposes rule to allow CRNAs to expand scope of practice: 5 notes
- Thank you for downloading "Consumerism Is Here: The Art & Science of Acquiring New Patients"