6 Statistics on Concierge and Direct Pay Physician Practices
recently released data from surveys of concierge medicine and direct pay primary care physicians conducted December 2009 through December 2012.
Survey questions pertained to practice viability, patient satisfaction, business strategies, revenues and more. The following are six statistics from analysis of the surveys:
• Roughly 70 percent of U.S. concierge medicine and direct pay primary care physicians are internal medicine specialists. Family practice is the second most popular concierge medicine specialty.
• The typical concierge physician is between 40 and 59 years of age.
• Most concierge and direct pay physicians treat six to eight patients each day.
• The average annual compensation for a concierge physician ranges from $100,000 to $300,000.
• 62 percent of concierge and direct pay medical offices employ one or two people.
• 71 percent of concierge and direct pay physicians report they are doing "better" financially than in 2008.
Correction: an earlier version of this article incorrectly identified the Concierge Medicine Research Collective as the Concierge Medicine Research Collaborative. We regret this error.
More Articles on Concierge Medicine:Why Physician Supply is Dwindling (And How to Keep Yours)
Survey: Which Physicians Are Considering Concierge Medicine?
Using Hybrid Concierge Medicine to Attract, Incentivize Primary Care Physicians
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- How Physician Thinking Changes After Working in ACOs
- 2014 Financial Impact Analysis Doesn't Stop With CMS' Final Rule: Don't Neglect CMS NCCI Edits
- 4 Drivers of Recent M&A Activity in Healthcare
- 8 Reasons to Outsource Medical Billing Services
- 5 ICD-10 Transition Considerations Medical Practices Have Likely Not Thought About