5 Statistics on Primary Care Physicians Practicing in the US, According to Type of Practice
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Researchers analyzed the 2010 American Medical Association Physician Masterfile and adjusted for retired physicians and physicians who shifted to non-primary care settings.
Here are the numbers of primary care physicians, according to type of practice:
• Family practice — 79,831
• General internal medicine — 71,487
• General pediatrics — 44,933
• General practice — 9,557
• Geriatrics — 2,999
More Articles on Practice Management:10 Tips for First-Time Managers
Small Business Owners: 7 Tips for Best Negotiations
Top 10 Challenges, Opportunities for Physicians This Year
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
$2.35B AmSurg-Sheridan Deal Completion, 9% Rise in HCA Revenue, Northstar's $15.1M in Q2 Revenue & More – 7 Recent Key Notes on ASC CompaniesRead Now
- 4 Tips for ASCs to Select a Business Analytics System and Streamline Collections
- Business Advisor Relationships: 4 Common Mistakes ASCs Make
- Corporate Compliance Committees: Why Healthcare Facilities Need One
- PriorityOne Launches New Corporate Identity, Moves to Bigger Office
- Online Preoperative Screening Advantages: Q&A With Ambulatory Surgical Center of Stevens Point's Becky Ziegler-Otis