4 Key Legislative Updates for California ASCs
update for May 2014.
Here are four key updates from the CASA report:
1. SB 1215 Prohibition of Physician Self-Referral which would prohibit physicians from self-referral for auxiliary services, including imaging, radiation and physical therapy. CASA worked to defeat this bill, which failed to pass the Senate Business & Professions Committee.
2. SB 966 ASC Oversight and State Licensure bill would allow ASCs to seek state licensure regardless of physician ownership. The bill's author held it in the Senate Health Committee, but CASA anticipates it will be reintroduced next year. CASA supports the bill.
3. CASA continues to oppose the California Division of Workers' Compensation proposed regulations to reduce ASC fees. Many individual ASCs responded to CASA's recent grassroots effort to submit comments in opposition of these regulations.
4. The Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act ballot measure will appear in November. CASA's Issues Committee PAC has contributed $10,000 to the campaign opposing MICRA and maintains regular contact with the campaign.
More Articles on Surgery Centers:
10 ASC Company Leaders to Know
30 ASCs With 23-Hour Stays
USPI Q1 Financial Results & Development Activity: 5 Key Points
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
A new era for ASC partnerships — How to optimize payer & patient relationshipsRead Now
- Christmas bonuses for staff members: 2 strategies to avoid
- A new era for ASC partnerships — How to optimize payer & patient relationships
- Under-treating pain — Are physicians scared of addiction? The DEA?
- 16 biggest gainers & losers in healthcare stocks
- Baltimore Washington Eye Center adds Alcon CENTURION Vision System