30 ASCs Making the News in June
Has your ASC made the news lately? Is there a newsworthy announcement you'd like to share? Email Becker's ASC Review Editor Ellie Rizzo at email@example.com with your ASC's news (or the link to it) to have it included in this roundup.
1. Raleigh, N.C.-based Rex Healthcare, a subsidiary of UNC Healthcare, plans to open a joint venture ambulatory surgery center Wakefield, N.C., but Novant Health, based in Winston-Salem, N.C., has voiced strong opposition.
2. Walla Walla (Wash.) General Hospital and Walla Walla Clinic have collaborated to bring two of the hospital's general surgeons to the clinic's ambulatory surgery center.
3. The Rancho Cordova, Calif.-based Eye Sugery Center and Folsom, Calif.-based Kaiser Ambulatory Surgery Unit have received "partner recognition" awards from Practice Greenhealth, a nonprofit devoted to promoting environmentally responsible medical care.
4. Frontier Healthcare Holdings opened the Long Island Digestive Endoscopy Center in Suffolk County, N.Y.
5. Huntsville (Ala.) Endoscopy Center has filed a certificate of need application for the addition of two operating rooms.
6. Tampa, Fla.-based Laser Spine Institute announced it will open centers in Cleveland, St. Louis and Cincinnati before the end of the year.
7. The University of Maryland Medical System plans to break ground on the $7 million Surgery Center at Queenstown (Md.) in July.
8. Oak Brook (Ill.) Surgical Center, Aiden Center for Day Surgery (Addison, Ill.) and Ashton Center for Day Surgery (Hoffman Estates, Ill.) shared their experiences in transitioning to EHRs in a Becker's ASC Review article.
9. Surgical Center of Connecticut officially opened its relocated Bridgeport, Conn. facility.
10. Island Digestive Health Center in West Islip, N.Y., officially opened.
11. Arete Surgical Center in Johnstown, Colo., hosted the first series of M6-C implants as part of the U.S. FDA clinical trial.
12. Fairfield (Conn.) Surgery Center received advising from Merritt Healthcare in its recent transaction with National Surgical Hospitals.
13. Restoration Eye Care, the practice of Timothy McGarity, MD, broke ground on a new ambulatory surgery center, LASIK clinic and cataract clinic in Columbia, Mo.
14. Erie Shriners (Pa.) Ambulatory Surgery Center and Outpatient Specialty Care Center received a $7.38 million bequest from the estate of Fred Burchfield, the largest donation in the center's history.
15. Jefferson Hospital, part of the Pittsburgh-based Allegheny Health Network, broke ground on its $17 million, 35,750 square-foot addition to its Bethel Park, Pa. outpatient facility.
16. Columbus (Wisc.) Community Hospital broke ground on an $18.6 million expansion, including a surgery center.
17. The Illinois Health Facilities and Services Review Board cast a split vote, four for and four against, on the Beloit Health System proposal to add a $16.3 million ambulatory surgery center at its NorthPointe Health and Wellness campus in Roscoe, Ill.
18. Physicians from The Albany (N.Y.) & Saratoga Center for Pain Management and New York Pain Management in Clifton Park received preliminary state approval to build a $1 million pain-focused ASC, the Northway Surgery and Pain Center, to be located in Clifton Park, N.Y.
19. Oklahoma City (Okla.)-based Laser Spine Institute's Jeffrey Nees, MD, became the first spine surgeon in the Oklahoma City area to perform a two-level artificial disc replacement at an ambulatory surgery center.
20. U.S. Representative Renee Ellmers (R-N.C.) recently toured Raleigh (N.C) Endoscopy Center.
21. Oregon Outpatient Surgery Center announced a plan to donate free services for veterans waiting for surgical care each quarter,
22. Massillon, Ohio-based Aultman West Hospital closed its Aultman West surgery center, due to declining case volumes. It is moving Aultman West services to Aultman North.
23. The Surgery Center of Pinehurst (N.C.) entered a partnership with Nueterra Global Alliance as a member of its global health network.
24. Gastroenterology of Southern Indiana, based in New Albany, will participate in Rochester, Minn.-based Mayo Clinic's national research trials to improve colorectal cancer detection.
25. Viewmont Surgery Center in Hickory, N.C., achieved accreditation from the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
26. National Surgical Hospitals purchased an ownership stake in Fairfield (Conn.) Surgery Center.
27. Joint venture Westmoreland (N.Y.) ASC received a controversial certificate of need from the New York State Department of Health.
28. The Regent Surgical Health opened a new joint venture center, the Plaza Ambulatory Surgery Center, in Portland, Ore.
29. Erie (Pa.) Shriners Ambulatory Surgery Center and Outpatient Specialty Care Center's new administrator, Mary Jane Antoon, RN, assumed her position June 1. The center also received a $7.4 million gift from the estate of Fred Burchfield, the largest single donation in its history.
30. The Summit (N.J.) Medical Group Ambulatory Surgery Center hosted a gala to launch its philanthropic research arm, the Summit Medical Group Foundation.
More Articles on Turnarounds:
Parkview Premier Surgery Center Wins Patient Perception Award
7 Things for ASC Leaders to Know for Today
5 Solutions to Generate Improved ASC Cash Flow
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- 4 key situations for coders to query providers — And when not to
- Hepatic steatosis and liver fibrosis may be genetic: 4 observations
- ALS disease may arise from long-ago embedded virus: 5 observations
- Looking to the future of payment: Why ASCs need to adopt new models
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Joel Weinstock of Tufts Medical Center