12 Statistics on Surgery Center Case Volume
1. Average total cases per center is 4,714 per year.
2. Nearly 19 cases are performed every day on average per surgery center.
3. Each operating room in ASCs saw an average of 765 cases per year, which was around three cases per day.
4. ASC procedure rooms saw around 1,144 non-surgical cases per room annually, with 4.6 procedures per day.
5. The top five physicians performed 54 percent of the ASC's case volume.
6. Surgery centers with more than four operating rooms performed around 24 cases per day, while those with one to two operating rooms performed an average of 12 cases per day.
7. Surgery centers with one to two operating rooms had the highest average annual surgical case rate per operating room, at 782, while those with more than four operating rooms hosted 744 cases annually per operating room.
8. Non-surgical case volume per year at facilities with one to two operating rooms was 1,017 per procedure room.
9. Surgery centers with three to four operating rooms reported an average of 769 non-surgical cases per procedure room annually, which dropped to 705 cases in centers with more than four operating rooms.
10. Around 68 percent of all cases in one to two operating room ASCs were performed by the top five physicians, and 91 percent were preformed by the top 10.
11. In surgery centers with more than four operating rooms, only 22 percent of the cases were performed by the top two physicians, while 62 percent were performed by the top 10 physicians on average.
12. ASCs with three to four operating rooms reported around half of their cases performed by the top five physicians.
More Articles on Surgery Centers:
11 Recent Outpatient Surgery Center Openings & Announcements
Price Transparency is Coming: 10 Things for ASC Leaders to Know
8 ASC Administrators on Efficiency at Their Centers
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Roger Williams' bariatric surgery program reaccredited — 3 points
- Capital One completes GE Capital healthcare finance service lending business acquisition: 5 key notes
- Bernie Sanders has outpatient surgery
- Hillside Endoscopy Center achieves accreditation: 5 key notes
- Alshemari Instruments launches a new surgical needle — 5 things to know about the Alshemari Needle Driver