12 Benchmarking Statistics About ASC Case Volume
1. GI/endoscopy represents the highest percentage of case volume, at 24 percent of cases in all facilities. GI/endoscopy is followed by ophthalmology at 19 percent and orthopedics at 17 percent.
2. In ASCs with less than $4,500,000 in net revenue, the top three specialties by case volume were GI/endoscopy (28 percent), ophthalmology (23 percent) and orthopedics (19 percent).
3. In ASCs with between $4,500,000 and $6,999,999 in net revenue, the top three specialties by case volume were GI/endoscopy (23 percent), ophthalmology (19 percent) and pain management (16 percent).
4. In ASCs with $7,000,000 or more in net revenue, the top three specialties by case volume were GI/endoscopy (19 percent) and ophthalmology and orthopedics (both 16 percent).
5. The average number of total annual cases per center is 4,968.
6. The average number of total cases per day is 18.8.
7. The average number of surgical cases per operating room annually is 705.
8. The average number of surgical cases per operating room every day is 2.8.
9. The average number of non-surgical cases per procedure room annually is 1,169.
10. The average number of non-surgical cases per procedure room every day is 4.7.
11. The average percentage of cases performed by the ASC's top two physicians is 32 percent.
12. The average percentage of cases performed by the ASC's top five physicians is 53 percent.
VMG information comes from VMG Health's Multi-Specialty ASC Intellimarker 2010 benchmarking study. VMG Health is a leading valuation and transaction advisory firm in healthcare. To receive a complimentary copy of VMG Health's 2010 Multi-Specialty ASC Intellimarker, click here.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- 5 things to know about Pres. Trump's executive order addressing the ACA
- Should Medicare allow total joints in ASCs? Q&A with Drs. Barry Waldman, Derek Johnson
- 84% of medical personnel are unsure of MACRA's requirements, survey finds: 3 takeaways
- Healthcare plan vanishes from WhiteHouse.gov after President Donald Trump takes oath
- Christ Hospital's dispute with St. Elizabeth Healthcare over $24M ASC may wage on for years