10 Statistics on the Surgery Center Industry
Number of freestanding ASCs in the United States: 5,876
Number of freestanding ASCs developed every year: Approximately 200
Percentage of ASCs owned/managed by multi-facility chains: 22.3 percent
Total ASCs owned/managed by multi-facility chains: 1,312 ASCs
Largest owner/operator of surgery centers: AmSurg (with 208 facilities in 2011)
Number of states with CON laws as of 2011: 26
State with the highest number of Medicare-certified ASCs as of 2011: California (668 ASCs)
Percentage of surgery cases performed in the outpatient setting in 2009: 63 percent
ASC reimbursement as a percentage of HOPD reimbursement in 2003: 87 percent
ASC reimbursement as a percentage of HOPD reimbursement in 2011: 56 percent
Learn more about VMG publications at www.vmghealth.com/publications.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
4 Statistics on Wasted OR ResourcesRead Now
- Randy Oostra, Michael Sanborn, and Dr. Michael Schatzlein to Speak at Becker's Hospital Meeting
- 6 Questions to Help Identify the Best Candidates for Hire
- Medical Device Industry leader to Know: Guntmar Eisen of Paradigm Spine
- Unique Methods of Payment: Opportunities for ASCs?
- ASC M&A Activity: 4 Big Trends for 2014 From HealthCare Appraisers