Which Physician Specialties Are Hospitals Interested in Acquiring? 13 Statistics
Trend Watch: Physician Practice Acquisitions report.
Here are 13 statistics on the physician specialties that hospitals planned to acquire in 2013.
• None: 48 percent
• Family practice: 31 percent
• Internal medicine: 22 percent
• Primary care: 13 percent
• Orthopedic surgery, cardiology: 10 percent
• Gastroenterology, general surgery, urology: 8 percent
• OB/GYN, oncology: 7 percent
• ENT: 6 percent
• Neurology, pulmonary medicine: 5 percent
• Ambulatory care, hospitalist, infectious disease, pediatrics: 4 percent
• Cardiothoracic surgery, neurosurgery, rheumatology, endocrinology, geriatric medicine, pain medicine, radiation oncology, trauma and vascular surgery: 3 percent
• Anesthesiology, bariatrics, emergency medicine, ophthalmology, plastic surgery, psychiatry: 2 percent
• Colon and rectal surgery, critical care, dermatology, hematology, maternal and fetal medicine, nephrology, occupational medicine, podiatry, radiology, sleep medicine and sports medicine: 1 percent
More Articles on Transactions and Valuation Issues:
What Do ASC Buyers Look for in Potential Acquisitions? Q&A With Jon Vick of ASCs Inc.
5 Recent Ambulatory Surgery Center Acquisitions & Partnerships
ASC & Hospital Partnerships: Weighing the Pros & Cons
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
Hennepin County Medical Center to Build $191M Clinic, Outpatient Surgery FacilityRead Now
- A New Innovation in Postoperative Spine Surgery Pain Management: Q&A With Dr. Peter Whang of Yale
- Hawthorn Surgery Center Relocates ASC in Illinois
- Surgical Notes Launches Mobile Transcription App
- Hennepin County Medical Center to Build $191M Clinic, Outpatient Surgery Facility
- Sheridan Healthcare Takes Step Toward IPO