OrthoCarolina Opens $4.9M Surgery Center: 5 Key Points
Charlotte Business Journal report. Here five things to know about the new facility and OrthoCarolina.
1. Mallard Creek Surgery Center will offer foot, ankle, knee, elbow, shoulder and spine surgery, as well as cartilage restoration, sports medicine and pain management. The new facility is located at OrthoCarolina's University medical practice. The 20 physicians own a 30 percent stake in the surgery center and Gaul Surgical Properties, an affiliate of OrthoCarolina, owns the remaining 70 percent.
2. The surgery center will partner with American Anesthesiology for anesthesia and post-anesthesia recovery services. Each of the anesthesia providers at the center will be certified in basic life, advanced-cardiovascular life and pediatric advanced-life support.
3. OrthoCarolina, established in 1922, is one of the largest orthopedic physician groups in its region. The practice includes 28 locations and 130 physicians who see more than 1 million patients and perform more than 50,000 procedures each year.
4. The new surgery center was included in the 2010 N.C. Medical Facilities Plan as a part of a five-year demonstration project. The project, including two other physician-owned ambulatory surgery centers, was designed to compare cost effectiveness of procedures performed in physician-owned centers to procedures performed in hospitals or other outpatient clinics. North Carolina has had a certificate of need law regulating healthcare facilities and services since 1978. It is one of 27 states regulating ambulatory surgery centers.
5. "By offering a surgery center as an extension of one of our OrthoCarolina offices, we're able to offer patients local surgery in a comfortable setting adjacent to where they have been seeing their provider," said OrthoCarolina surgeon Robert McBride, MD, in the report.
More Articles on Transactions and Valuation Issues:
What ASC Physician-Owners Need to Know About ASC Real Estate Sales & Leasebacks
ASCs vs. HOPDs: 4 Expected Unexpected Consequences of Rate Equalization
HSA PrimeCare Completes Sale & Leaseback of Indiana Surgery Center
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
Northstar Healthcare to list common shares on U.S. national exchangeRead Now
- 4 Foundational Components to Determine ASC Start-up Success
- Inc. magazine names PriorityOne Group among fastest-growing private companies
- A world without colonoscopy? 9 gastroenterologists weigh in on the future of GI's top procedure
- Essentia Health-St. Joseph's Medical Center adds Dr. Mark Suojanen
- Gel stops bleeding in 10 seconds in trials