Number of Ambulatory Surgery Centers Approaches Number of Hospitals Nationwide
A recent count estimated that there are 5,260 surgery centers in the United States, compared to 5,724 hospitals, according to the American Hospital Association. The number of surgery centers has boomed from just 1,000 in 1988, according to information from Tony German, the executive director of the Texas Ambulatory Surgery Center Society.
Surgery centers now perform around 23 million surgeries annually, and CMS approves new procedures for the ASC setting every year.
Related Articles on Transactions & Valuation:
St. Luke's Hospital to Build Medical Center With Outpatient Orthopedics
Kansas' Via Christi Hospital Progresses with New Surgery Center
10 Hospitals Planning or Opening Surgery Center Joint Ventures
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- UnitedHealthcare now posts Healthgrades star ratings for each physician: 7 key notes
- Joint Commission: New tools for medical error prevention
- Mederi Therapeutics launches 3rd generation of Stretta, Boston Scientific reports Q1 2016 financials & more — 5 GI company key notes
- Gastroenterologist pay in the US, UK, Canada & Australia: 5 notes
- Seres Therapeutics signs research agreements to support development of microbiome therapy for IBD: 3 points