Number of Ambulatory Surgery Centers Approaches Number of Hospitals Nationwide
The number of ambulatory surgery centers is closing in on the number of hospitals nationwide, according to a Dallas Business Journal report.
A recent count estimated that there are 5,260 surgery centers in the United States, compared to 5,724 hospitals, according to the American Hospital Association. The number of surgery centers has boomed from just 1,000 in 1988, according to information from Tony German, the executive director of the Texas Ambulatory Surgery Center Society.
Surgery centers now perform around 23 million surgeries annually, and CMS approves new procedures for the ASC setting every year.
Related Articles on Transactions & Valuation:
St. Luke's Hospital to Build Medical Center With Outpatient Orthopedics
Kansas' Via Christi Hospital Progresses with New Surgery Center
10 Hospitals Planning or Opening Surgery Center Joint Ventures
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Senate Introduces Companion Medicare RAC Reform Bill
- Drs. Brian Cole, Anthony Romeo of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush Among Top Orthopedic Surgeons Contributing to Orthopedic Literature
- Spinal Elements Upgrades to 40,000-Square-Foot Headquarters
- UnitedHealth, Aetna, Cigna to Sit Out of California's Health Insurance Exchange
- Rhode Island Nixes "Confidential" Prices Between Payors, Providers