Number of Ambulatory Surgery Centers Approaches Number of Hospitals Nationwide
A recent count estimated that there are 5,260 surgery centers in the United States, compared to 5,724 hospitals, according to the American Hospital Association. The number of surgery centers has boomed from just 1,000 in 1988, according to information from Tony German, the executive director of the Texas Ambulatory Surgery Center Society.
Surgery centers now perform around 23 million surgeries annually, and CMS approves new procedures for the ASC setting every year.
Related Articles on Transactions & Valuation:
St. Luke's Hospital to Build Medical Center With Outpatient Orthopedics
Kansas' Via Christi Hospital Progresses with New Surgery Center
10 Hospitals Planning or Opening Surgery Center Joint Ventures
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Anthem is 1st payer to challenge DOJ lawsuit: 5 takeaways
- Medical errors occur in nearly 50% of surgeries: 4 key notes
- Did the ACA actually lower premiums? 5 observations
- Boston University to increase dermatologists practicing in academia: 5 takeaways from the new residency program
- 30 things for ASC leaders to know for July