17 Surgery Centers Opened, Acquired or Planned in October 2012
1. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Opens New Surgery Center in Boston. Massachusetts Eye and Ear has celebrated the grand opening of a new outpatient surgery center in the Longwood/Mission Hill area of Boston. The center will open to patients in November. The 90,000-square-foot center, which is owned and was developed by The Beal Companies, houses four operating rooms and is home to the most advanced ophthalmology clinical space and physician offices. ENT services will be added in the future.
2. Colorado's The Spine Institute Buys Land for New Outpatient Surgery Center. The Spine Institute in Johnstown, Colo., has purchased a 1.8 acre parcel of land, on which to build an outpatient surgery center, according to an NCBR report. The parcel was purchased by the Spine and Orthopedic Surgery Center for just over $385,771 in a deal that closed Oct. 16.
3. Texas' Baylor Surgical Hospital to Build $35M Surgery Center. Baylor Surgical Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas, said Monday that it plans to build a $35.1 million, 77,000-square-foot surgery center. Construction is scheduled to begin in May on the three-story surgery center and to be completed in 2014. Baylor said it has outgrown its currently 34,000-square-foot building.
4. Louisiana State University to Move Beds to Ambulatory Surgery Center. Louisiana State University will expand its medical presence in south Baton Rouge, adding a medical office building with several outpatient clinics. The medical building will become home to outpatient clinics currently operated at the LSU Earl K. Long Medical Center's north Baton Rouge campus. The hospital will close in 2013 as LSU moves its inpatient care and medical education programs to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.
5. Drew Memorial Board to Look at Plans for New Surgery Center. The Drew Memorial Hospital Board in Monticello, Ark., will look at plans for a new surgery center in mid-November. Administrator Michael Layfield said the architects will be at the meeting to discuss specific plans for the physical plant. The design process is expected to last several months.
6. Physicians Endoscopy Acquires Ambulatory Center for Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. Physicians Endoscopy, based in Doylestown, Pa., will become the primary owner of the Ambulatory Center for Endoscopy and Colonoscopy at Palisades Medical Center in North Bergen, N.J. Physicians Endoscopy develops and manages single-specialty ambulatory surgery centers. The company created a joint venture with the center's 11 gastroenterologists and will provide administrative services to the facility, which performs more than 6,500 procedures annually.
7. Blue Chip Surgical Center Partners Opens Archibald Surgery Center in California. Blue Chip Surgical Center Partners has announced the opening of Archibald Surgery Center in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. The surgery center features three operating rooms and will perform spine, eye and gastrointestinal procedures.
8. New Jersey's Palisades Medical Center to Build New Surgery Center. Palisades Medical Center is planning to build a new medical office building, one floor of which would include an ambulatory surgery center. The proposed four-story, 56,000-square-foot facility in North Bergen, N.J., would include two stories of parking, one floor for an ASC and outpatient dialysis center, and one floor for physician offices. An estimated 15 to 20 physicians would share the office space.
9. Pennsylvania's Eye Specialists of Ohio Adds Surgery Center. Eye Specialists of Ohio recently added a new surgery center in Lancaster, Pa. The center will offer cataract surgery, laser surgery for glaucoma and diabetes-related disorders, chemical burn treatment, corneal transplant, foreign body removal and injury and infection treatment.
10. Kansas' Via Christi Hospital to Build New Surgery Center. Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg, Kan., has accepted bids from general contractors for the new Via Christi Surgery Center. The hospital invited six general contractors to bid on the project. The $18 million surgery center is the largest project of its kind since the hospital was built in 1971. The expansion of the southeast side of the hospital is estimated to be close to 40,000 square feet and will be adjacent to the hospital and connected to the main building.
11. Iowa's Henry County Health Center Breaks Ground on New Center. Henry County Health Center in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, broke ground Tuesday on a new surgery center. The surgery center will be the third phase of a $15.8 million construction project. When complete, the project will expand HCHC's Surgery Department and enhance the patient experience within outpatient and specialty clinic areas, according to CEO Robb Gardner.
12. Endoscopy Center of Hawaii Opens in Honolulu. The Endoscopy Institute of Hawaii has opened in Honolulu. The principals of the center say they hope that the city's newest and largest ambulatory surgery center dedicated to digestive track care will reduce the current backlog in colon cancer screenings.
13. Corona Summit Surgical Center Opens in California. The Corona (Calif.) Summit Surgical Center opened its doors on Oct. 4, 2012, according to a release. The new outpatient surgery center is co-owned by 10 specialty physicians, with Pinnacle III as the revenue cycle and operations management partner. The center provides a variety of specialties ranging from general surgery to urology. According to administrator Frank Szczesniak, RN, "The facility is proud to be the first of its kind in the Corona area offering patients a truly unique healthcare experience."
14. Scottsdale Healthcare & Sovereign Healthcare Acquire Majority Ownership of Arizona's Biltmore Surgical Center. Scottsdale Healthcare and its joint venture partner Sovereign Healthcare have completed a transaction, acquiring majority ownership of Biltmore Surgical Center in Phoenix, Ariz., according to a Business Wire report. The transaction allows Scottsdale Healthcare to expand patient access to off-campus outpatient surgery services and strengthen alignment with physicians.
15. Connecticut's Middlesex Hospital to Acquire Nearby GI-Driven ASC. Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, Conn., is proposing to acquire a nearby ambulatory surgery center that exclusively performs gastroenterology and colonoscopy procedures. The hospital has submitted a proposal with the Office of Health Care Access.
16. Hackensack University Medical Center Announces Joint Venture With USPI, Physicians. Hackensack University Medical Center has announced a joint venture partnership with United Surgical Partners International and community physicians in the acquisition and operation of two ambulatory surgery centers.
17. New York's Montefiore Medical Center to Spend $142M on First Freestanding ASC. Montefiore has agreed to lease a 12-story, 278,000-square-foot building for 16 years. The project gained approval Sept. 19 from the Establishment and Project Review Committee of the Public Health and Health Planning Council.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Non-Medicaid expansion states could gain up to $27.9B in savings by expanding program: 4 takeaways
- Senate committee advances vote on Trump's FDA pick Dr. Scott Gottlieb
- GI leader to know: Dr. Michael Sagatelian of Palmetto Digestive Health Specialists
- Drs. Todd Baron & Kevin Collier: 2 GI physicians in the headlines
- New Century Spine and Outpatient Surgical Institute installs Indigo-Clean disinfecting lights