10 Hospitals Planning or Opening Surgery Center Joint Ventures
1. Texas Guadalupe Regional Medical Center. Guadalupe Regional Medical Center in Seguin, Texas, has authorized CEO Robert Haynes to negotiate with the owners of South Texas Surgical Center regarding a potential acquisition. The GRMC board unanimously approved the motion to pursue negotiations for the purchase of the surgical center's business and leasing of its building. Mr. Haynes said negotiations might be completed by April 1. South Texas Surgical Center is an 18,000-square-foot facility with four operating rooms and two procedure rooms.
2. Cheyenne Regional Medical Center. Cheyenne (Wyo.) Regional Medical Center will soon open a new surgery center on its campus, a merger of Yellowstone Surgery Center and Cheyenne Surgical Center. The High Plains Surgery Center will be formed by the merger of the two ASCs and located on the second floor of the medical office building at CRMC. Cheyenne Regional, which was formerly a shareholder in the Yellowstone Surgery Center, will be a co-owner of the new center. A group of 25 physicians will retain ownership of the rest of the center.
3. Geisinger Community Medical Center. Geisinger Community Medical Center in Scranton, Pa., has announced a joint venture with North East Surgery Center. The North East Surgery Center has 38 surgeons and performs general, orthopedic, plastic, colon, rectal, vascular, podiatric, urologic and ENT surgery, as well as pain management procedures. The center has three operating rooms and two procedure rooms. Hospital administrators said the partnership overlaps with the system's mantra of providing appropriate care at the right time and location.
4. Munroe Medical Center. Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Fla., has agreed to purchase a 20 percent share of Surgery Center of Ocala's business. The new partnership will give the non-profit, 421-bed hospital access to the surgery center's four operating rooms, two procedure rooms and 6 percent of the market share that the facility controls. The surgery center performs around 4,200 procedures annually.
5. Glen Falls Hospital. Construction crews have begun site work for a new ophthalmology surgery center in Wilton, N.Y. Local ophthalmologists and Glens Falls (N.Y.) Hospital are collaborating on the eye surgery center. The physicians formed North Country Eye Surgery Center, a company that will own 70 percent of the facility. The hospital will own the remaining 30 percent. North Country Eye Surgery is spending around $1.2 million for equipment. It will provide the staff and handle billing, while the hospital is spending $1.2 million, and will own the building and land.
6. HCA Virginia Health System. OrthoVirginia and the HCA Virginia Health System recently opened a 70,000-square-foot medical facility that includes an outpatient surgery center. The OrthoVirginia/HCA facility brings orthopedic specialists in hand, knee, hip and spine together with pediatric services and sports medicine physicians. The sports medicine facility, dedicated to musculoskeletal diagnosis and repair, houses the privately owned orthopedic surgery practice OrthoVirginia, along with HCA's CJW Sports Medicine program and a jointly owned surgical center.
7. Catholic Health Initiatives and Adventist Health. St. Rose Ambulatory and Surgery Center in Great Bend, Colo., will join Centura Health Initiatives, a Denver-based healthcare group. Centura is jointly operated by Catholic Health Initiatives and Adventist Health system. St. Rose currently belongs to Catholic Health Initiatives, which will integrate its facilities in Colorado and Kansas into one regional group through this move.
8. Middlex Hospital. Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, Conn., is proposing to acquire a nearby ambulatory surgery center that exclusively performs gastroenterology and colonoscopy procedures. The hospital has submitted a proposal with the Office of Health Care Access.
9. Hackensack University Medical Center. Hackensack University Medical Center has announced a joint venture partnership with United Surgical Partners International and community physicians in the acquisition and operation of two ambulatory surgery centers.
10. Scottsdale Healthcare. Scottsdale Healthcare and its joint venture partner Sovereign Healthcare have completed a transaction, acquiring majority ownership of Biltmore Surgical Center in Phoenix, Ariz. The transaction allows Scottsdale Healthcare to expand patient access to off-campus outpatient surgery services and strengthen alignment with physicians.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review