10 Hospitals Planning or Developing Ambulatory Surgery Centers
Here are 10 hospitals planning or developing ambulatory surgery centers, according to various news reports.
1. Iowa's Henry County Health Center. Henry County Health Center in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, broke ground Tuesday on a new surgery center. The surgery center will be the third phase of a $15.8 million construction project. When complete, the project will expand HCHC's Surgery Department and enhance the patient experience within outpatient and specialty clinic areas, according to CEO Robb Gardner.
2. Arizona's Scottsdale Healthcare. Scottsdale Healthcare and its joint venture partner Sovereign Healthcare have completed a transaction, acquiring majority ownership of Biltmore Surgical Center in Phoenix, Ariz. The transaction allows Scottsdale Healthcare to expand patient access to off-campus outpatient surgery services and strengthen alignment with physicians. Biltmore Surgical Center opened in late 2010, and Scottsdale Healthcare, through its joint venture with Sovereign, has been a minority partner. Through this transaction, the Scottsdale Healthcare/Sovereign joint venture will now have three majority-owned outpatient surgery centers.
3. Connecticut's Middlesex Hospital. Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, Conn., is proposing to acquire a nearby ambulatory surgery center that exclusively performs gastroenterology and colonoscopy procedures. The hospital has submitted a proposal with the Office of Health Care Access. The Shoreline Colonoscopy Suites facility currently operates as a free-standing, single-specialty colonoscopy center and is co-owned by Maurizio Nichele, MD, and Jay Zimmerman, MD.
4. New York's Montefiore Medical Center. Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx is planning to spend $142.3 million on its first freestanding ambulatory surgery center. Montefiore has agreed to lease a 12-story, 278,000-square-foot building for 16 years. The project gained approval Sept. 19 from the Establishment and Project Review Committee of the Public Health and Health Planning Council. The plan calls for relocating some of the hospital's ambulatory surgery cases from hospital ORs to a "more efficient and patient-friendly environment."
5. New Jersey's Hackensack University Medical Center. Hackensack University Medical Center has announced a joint venture partnership with United Surgical Partners International and community physicians in the acquisition and operation of two ambulatory surgery centers. The surgery centers are Hackensack Endoscopy Center and Endoscopy Center of Bergen County. Eric Avezzano, MD, one of the physician owners and medical director of Endoscopy Center of Bergen County, said, "This partnership brings the ideal combination of physicians, hospital and ambulatory industry experts together to ensure high-quality, affordable care for our patients and a business arrangement that will yield success under healthcare reform."
6. New York's Rochester General Health System. Rochester General Health System plans to develop an ambulatory surgery center, relocating a same-day surgery practice it purchased earlier and ambulatory surgery facilities from Rochester General Hospital. The new surgery center would be a 29,000-square-foot addition.
7. Maryland's Mercy Medical Center. Mercy Medical Center in Baltimore recently announced a new outpatient surgery and birthing center. The $20 million facility will officially open in October. With outpatient services in high demand, the facility will allow the hospital to adapt to the younger demographic growing in number in the region.
8. Pennsylvania's Mount Nittany Medical Center. Mount Nittany Medical Center in State College, Pa., is planning a new 60,000-square-foot surgery center that will add five new operating rooms to the main medical campus. Mount Nittany has seen a steady growth in outpatient surgical cases. The hospital will spend $36 million on construction and new hospital equipment. Officials say the county-backed bond issue will allow for the expansion of medical facilities needed by the region's growing elderly population.
9. New York's Vassar Brothers Medical Center. Vassar Brothers Medical Center dedicated its new ambulatory surgery center, the Daniel Z. Aronzon, MD Center for Ambulatory Surgery, in mid-September. The surgery center is located in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
10. New Jersey's Lourdes Health System. The Lourdes Health System, which owns the Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County in Willingboro, N.J., has announced a joint venture partnership with Centennial Surgery Center in Vorhees, N.J. The partnership will enable the health system to meet the demand for outpatient surgery among its expanding patient base. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. A multi-specialty center founded in 1999, Centennial Surgery Center serves approximately 11,000 patients a year and offers services including gastroenterology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, podiatry, urology and pain management.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- UnityPoint Health — Trinity Bettendorf to Open Pain Management Center
- Mississippi ASC OK to Choose New Buyer After Signing Letter of Intent, Court Says
- Study: Security More Than Seamlessness Defines Continuity of Care for Patients
- Dr. Ross Benthien to Serve as President of Connecticut Orthopaedic Society
- Medline Names Roche Diagnostics Platinum Vendor of the Year for Post-Acute Care