Top 7 Surgical Safety Challenges
Wrong-site surgery is the number one operating room safety challenge among OR nurses, according to a Medline Industries survey.
Medline's national surgical safety survey asked OR nurses to identify their top three OR safety challenges. Here are the top seven OR safety challenges based on more than 2,000 nurses' responses:
1. Wrong-site surgery (65 percent)
2. Surgical site infections (63 percent)
3. Retained surgical objects (60 percent)
4. Sharps and needle sticks (43 percent) — Sixty-five percent of respondents have experienced a sharps injury in the OR, according to the survey
5. Managing normothermia (30 percent)
6. Perioperative pressure ulcers (27 percent)
7. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections (15 percent)
More Articles on Surgical Safety:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality