Study: Full Contact Precautions as Effective Against MRSA as Gloves Alone
methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus transmission than just wearing gloves, according to a study in American Journal of Infection Control.
Researchers evaluated the effect of a bundle of infection control measures on MRSA transmission rates at two similar Veterans Health Administration hospitals. The bundle included four components:
• Institutional culture change
• Surveillance for MRSA infection and transmission
• Active screening for colonization
• Contact precautions for colonized patients
One hospital implemented Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-recommended contact precautions, which include wearing a cover gown. The other hospital modified the precautions to include only the use of gloves.
During the four-year study period, hospital A had 1.58 MRSA transmissions per 1,000 patient days and hospital B had 1.56. Both hospitals significantly reduced MRSA healthcare-associated infections, and there was no significant difference in the incidence of MRSA HAIs or MRSA surgical site infections between the hospitals. Annual acquisition costs for cover gowns were $183,609 at hospital A and $25,812 at hospital B.
More Articles on MRSA:More Community-Associated MRSA in Smaller vs. Larger Hospitals
Study: Better Hand Hygiene Didn't Alter C. diff, MRSA Rates
Are Contact Precautions Necessary to Decrease Risk of Infection?
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
Data analytics education program to aid healthcare quality — 5 key notesRead Now
- Dr. Daniel Lieberman now sees patients at Phoenix Spine Surgery Center in Goodyear — 5 key notes
- Nap Gary's impact on the ASC industry — His legacy from those he influenced
- AmSurg, SCA, HCA & more: 5 key ASC company stock reports — May 28, 2015
- Most common ASC errors in Oregon — 5 key notes
- Cardinal Health to add ambulatory center products after J&J purchase: 4 key notes