Study: 37% of Physicians Give in to Patients' Demands for Brand-Name Drugs
JAMA Internal Medicine, formerly Archives of Internal Medicine.
Researchers studied physicians' prescribing decisions using data from 1,891 physicians in seven specialties who responded to a national survey. Overall, 37 percent of physicians sometimes or often gave in to patients' requests for brand-name drugs. Among physicians in practice for more than 10 years, this percent rose to 43 percent, compared with 31 percent of physicians in practice for 10 years or less.
The study identified several factors associated with capitulation to patients' request for brand-name drugs:
• Pediatricians, anesthesiologists, cardiologists and general surgeons were significantly less likely to give in than were internal medicine physicians.
• Physicians in solo or two-person practices were more likely to give in than were those working in a hospital or medical school setting, with rates of 46 percent and 35 percent, respectively.
• Thirty-nine percent of physicians who received free food and/or beverages in the workplace from drug companies (industry) yielded to patients' demands for brand-name drugs compared with 33 percent who did not receive these items.
• Forty percent of physicians who received drug samples from companies gave in compared with 31 percent of those who did not receive samples.
• Forty-percent of physicians who often met with industry representatives to stay up-to-date gave in compared with 34 percent of physicians who did not meet with representatives.
More Articles on Medication Safety:Patient Safety Tool: Anticoagulation Adverse Drug Event Gap Analysis
Study: Patients Less Likely to Refill Drugs When Pills Change Color
Study: Injectable Medication Errors Cost Payors Up to $5.1B Per Year
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
AAOS selects Medline Industries as distribution partnerRead Now
- Succeed as a new manager: 5 tips
- How to turn ASC staffing from a cost-center into a value center — 8 key steps
- Healthcare services M&A: 10 key trends
- AAOS selects Medline Industries as distribution partner
- Did the ASC industry end the year with a bang or a bust? 50 things to know about 4Q, year-end financial results