Solving a 100-year-old surgical quality problem with simple physics
Nikolai Begg, PhD, is a postdoctoral fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who focuses on improving medical devices. Recently, he perfected a solution to the problem of incision with the trochar, a process accounting for nearly 50 percent of serious medical issues during laparoscopic surgery.
According to Dr. Begg, the danger with using a trochar comes the moment the tip perforates through the skin and creates an incision. In that split second, the surgeon's brain hasn't yet registered that the incision has been created, and the surgeon risks pushing the trochar too far into the body, potentially causing damage to a patient's internal organs (Dr. Begg likens the process to pushing a straw into a juice pouch).
Dr. Begg has created a mechanically simple pressure-sensing trochar that, through leveraging Newton's third law of equal forces and a spring, solves this dangerous and pervasive quality problem. The moment the patient's skin is perforated, the change in force allows the spring to retract the trochar blade, preventing patient harm.
Watch Dr. Begg speak about the problem of trochar injuries and explain the simple, yet powerful concept for his safe-surgery trochar's design in a TED talk on that organization's website.
More Articles on Quality and Infection Control:
Patient Safety Tool: NPSF's Checklist for Getting the Right Diagnosis
CDC Releases Safe Injection Videos
Health IT and Patient Safety: 5 Things to Know
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Adults who don't vaccinate cost $9B in 2015 from preventable diseases: 6 things to know
- Tenet shares jump 3.3%; Medical Facilities Corp. distributes 151st consecutive dividend payment & more — 5 key notes on ASC companies
- How physicians can leverage technology to succeed under MACRA — Insights from Elation Health's CEO
- St. Renatus launches 1st nasal spray dental anesthetic: 5 things to know
- Anesthesia Business Consultants releases fall 2016 newsletter: 3 notes