Health IT and patient safety: 5 things to know
podcast. Here are some of the most important health IT considerations for patient safety, according to Mr. Castro:
1. Safety issues occur when a health IT interface is not optimal for the clinician's task at hand or when the interface impedes workflow or communication.
2. When making health IT systems safer, use a systems approach. This enables the organization to understand how health IT incidents occur in the context of the people using the technology and the workflow or systems around that person.
3. Heath IT is most effective when it supports information transfer and communication.
4. As a contributing factor to patient safety issuers, health IT plays the most significant role in medication errors, wrong-site surgeries and delays in treatment, according to a Joint Commission analysis.
5. According to Joint Commission data, organizations with the best health IT patient safety track records have integrated their health IT people into conversations about patient safety.
More Articles on Quality:
Developing ASC Quality Assurance Programs
10 Thoughts on Improving Infection Control in the ASC
Press Ganey Acquires National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
St. Cloud Surgical Center 1st ASC with Xenex germ-zap robot — 5 things to knowRead Now
- Options Women's Clinic gets AAAHC accreditation
- $5B in medical office buildings sold in 2014 — And investors are ready for more
- AmSurg's Ben Flatt completes Young Leaders Council training
- Exceptional ASC nurse leaders: Key advice for finding & keeping them
- pCLE effective at diagnosing biliary cancer patients during ERCP, study says