AAMI Comments on Joint Commission's Proposed Alarm Management Patient Safety Goal
HTSI supports making alarm safety a priority, but also suggested several changes to The Joint Commission's proposal. First, HTSI said the safety goal should use vocabulary consistent with international standards for medical devices; instead of saying "alarm problems," The Joint Commission should specify whether the problem is alarm signals, alarm conditions, alarm settings or alarm settings, according to HTSI. HTSI assumed The Joint Commission was referring to audible alarm sounds in its NPSG. Here are some other suggestions from HTSI:
• Institutions should maintain an alarm systems committee that would report to a patient safety executive, who would provide guidance for alarm system management.
• The alarm systems committee should oversee a database of all equipment with patient-related clinical alarm sounds and assign priority status for managing the alarm sounds.
• The alarm systems committee should create and maintain guidance for the management of and response times for alarm signals deemed critical to the patient's life.
• Healthcare facilities should assess the number of audible alarm signals "per patient per bed per day" from "inactionable condition" instead of "the number of audible alarm signals that are attributable to false positive alarm conditions."
• Healthcare facilities should document annual staff education on alarm management policies and procedures.
More Articles on Alarm Management:Joint Commission Proposes Alarm Management National Patient Safety Goal
4 Errors to Avoid With EHRs
ECRI Institute Releases 2013 Top 10 Health IT Hazards
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
Physician MOC program to cost billions over the next decade, study finds: 6 insightsRead Now
- SCA's net patient revenues jump 7.1%: 5 Q2 financial result key notes
- HCA renews contracts with Humana, SCA reports net operating revenue of $253.7M & more — 4 key notes on ASC companies
- ASC Industry Leader to Know: Sarah Malaniak of Ambulatory Center for Endoscopy
- Affinity Health Plan bolsters executive team: 5 key points
- 10 trendy apps for ASC physicians