7 Tips for ASC Infection Control Compliance
sant, S.C. The two were interviewed for an article in Infection Control Today.
- Whichever set of infection guidelines an ASC might choose to use, be sure documentation shows consistent application of the selected set of guidelines.
Sign up for our FREE E-Weekly for more coverage like this sent to your inbox!
- Have a point person — an RN or an LPN as per CMS regulations — at the ASC undergo specialized infection control training to more effectively manage the infection control program and infection control plan.
- Be able to show continuous documentation and a plan for meeting both state and federal infection control regulations, and know which deficiencies are most common in the applicable state or region.
- Have a copy of the CMS standards and worksheet printed off and ready to reference for staff interaction and educations, and know the standards inside and out. CMS surveyors may ask about specific parts of the regulations.
- Perform mock surveys to check for lapses and to accustom staff to the reality of surveys. Unexpected visits after-hours and drop-ins on the front lines of care are also useful spot-checks for compliance.
- Bring surgeons on board, making sure they are provided with the same information as the staff, though the format of the information might differ.
- Get the ASC executives, including the boardmembers, involved with infection prevention and control.
More Articles on Infection Control:
Top 10 Quality Stories Feb. 10-14: ASC
Top 10 Patient Safety Tools Feb. 10-14
HPV Highly Resistant to Standard Medical Cleaning Processes
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's Infection Control & Clinical Quality
5 parasites that have travelled the worldRead Now
- 3 ways to trim down ASC business office costs for more powerful revenue cycle management strategy
- Mobile health technology — 6 key notes for ASC leaders
- What is important for ASC leaders to know today? 3 key thoughts from Susan Kizirian
- Emory's "Team Ebola" to receive patient safety award
- 5 parasites that have travelled the world