Tough Coding Issues Facing ASCs
The first part of the presentation focused on addressing the quality of medical records. There are times when coding errors occur because operative reports are unclear or physicians don't record all appropriate information necessary to capture the right codes.
"One of the most frustrating challenges right now is the template issue with electronic health records and electronic medical records systems," says Ms. Rock. "Sometimes surgeons are using templates for procedures other than what they are doing because they aren't available. In this case, free-texting doesn't always work. You should always have a fall back in the old fashion dictation for scenarios such as this. You can't code off of an operative report with blatant discrepancies and you can't just guess."
Other challenges that were addressed include:
• Inconsistencies within the operative report
• Variations between the procedure heading and actual description of the procedure
• Blanks in the medical records
As an example, when surgeons are performing procedures in the knee, they must clarify in which compartment the procedure is being performed. If the surgeon fails to record this information, coders can request it in an MD Query, which asks surgeons to specify medial, lateral or patellofemoral compartment by checking off the appropriate space.
When the information is consistently insufficient for accurate coding, coders can work on educating physicians about what type of detail is necessary to capture as much reimbursement as possible with every case. NMBS discusses the importance of knowing the differences between educating and leading the physicians with documentation concerns. Providing the physicians with carrier specific policies and guidelines are examples of educational tools.
The second half of the presentation addressed common coding challenges specialty scenarios in areas of:
• Screening colonoscopies
• Pain management
• Distal radial fracture
• Lesion excisions
• Pain block
• Conscious sedation
• Topaz ablation including wand
• Subtalar arthrodesis vs. arthroereisis
• Subacromial decompression
Access a PDF version of the National Medical Billing Association webinar here.
Access an audio version of the National Medical Billing Association webinar here.
Learn more about National Medical Billing Association.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Castle Connolly recognizes Dr. Semih Gungor as a top NY doctor: 4 things to know
- Penn State researchers develop care plan for Crohn's disease complications: 5 insights
- Study finds dietary fiber may reduce IBD flares: 5 insights
- Latest payer ACA departures further limit consumers' options — 5 takeaways
- Physicians Endoscopy appoints Guidon Partners Founder Greg Roth to board of directors following Kelso deal: 4 highlights