Payer Contracts: 9 Things to Know for Medical Practices
Medscape Business of Medicine article, Penny Noyes, president and CEO of Health Business Navigators, discusses phrases and clauses in your payer contract that are hidden threats and could end up costing you.
Here are the nine things to know about payer contracts:
1. Timely filing of a clean or complete claim.
2. Some contracts specify that if another contract contradicts your practice contract, then the other contract will supersede yours — ensure your contract is not undermined.
3. Know whether you are participating in a health insurance exchange.
4. Ensure that the contract reflects agreed upon terms.
5. Be sure you understand whether a site-of-service differential applies to certain services, such as surgical codes.
6. Make sure that you know if the payer can pay you more for lab tests, durable medical equipment or radiology services.
7. If the rates are tied to Medicare, make sure you know the specific year and locality.
8. Make sure your agreement provides the same time period for either party to notify the other that a payment error has occurred.
9. If you are planning on joining a clinically integrated network or accountable care organization, be aware of how much authority you are giving them when you join.
More Articles on Practice Management:Physicians Have Until January 31 to Change Medicare Participation Status
Is a Physician Shortage Inevitable? Most Likely
7 Things to Know About a Practice's HIT Budget
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
Coding Tip: Modifiers for a Portion of the Surgical PackageRead Now
- 5 Recent ASC Industry Leadership Moves & Honors
- Barrington Pain and Spine Institute Gets State Approval for Spine Surgery Services
- Top 5 Specialty Physicians Who Offer Ancillary Services
- FOAA Anesthesia Services' Dr. Srinivas Sharma to Serve as Featured Panelist at Mid-Atlantic Anesthesia Research Conference
- FDA Recalls ARKON Anesthesia System With Version 2.0 Software