Maine's Projected Medicaid Deficit May Be Overblown Due to Budgeting Glitches
The budgeting miscalculations can be attributed to problems with a new claims processing system, a loss of federal funds that wasn't accounted for in the calculation and a failure to budget for increases in federal Medicare premiums. Leaders in the administration will present a report on the deficit today to the Legislature's Appropriations Committee.
The $120 million budget deficit projected for this fiscal year has led to a financial emergency that Gov. Paul LePage wants to address by making significant cuts to MaineCare, which he says has grown nearly 80 percent in the past decade. According to the report, increased MaineCare enrollment in fact accounts for just $6.5 million of the $120 million shortfall.
While enrollment growth has continued in 2011 and is contributing to the projected deficit, the growth does not affect the deficit in a significant way, according to the report. Most of the deficit is due to inaccurate assumptions built into the state budget, many of which were carried over from years past.
Related Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
Commonly Miscoded Orthopedic Procedures: Thoughts From Coding Compliance Management's Cristina Bentin
Washington Uninsured Rate to Reach $1M by End of 2011
3 Challenges for Physicians Regarding ICD-10
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Nurse leadership primer: 20 key points on finding, supporting & being a great nurse leader
- GI leader to know: Dr. Brett Thorpe of Provo Gastroenterology
- Manhattan Spine & Pain now AAAHC accredited: 3 key notes
- United to Protect Democracy calls for investigation into White House's role in blocked Anthem, Cigna merger: 4 key notes
- Demand for HAI prevention, control measures spurring hand hygiene market growth: 4 things to know