Knee Ligament Reconstruction
Editor's Note: This article by Paul Cadorette, director of education for mdStrategies, originally appeared in The Coding Advocate, mdStrategies free monthly newsletter. Sign-up to receive this newsletter by clicking here.
CPT copyright 2008 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
There are two sets of ligaments that stabilize the knee joint. The medial and lateral collateral ligaments are known as extra-articular ligaments because they are located outside the joint. The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are located within the joint so they are termed inta-articular ligaments. In instances when a patient sustains a serious knee injury it may be necessary to reconstruct both the ACL and PCL. The CPT code for this procedure reads "Ligamentous reconstruction (augmentation), knee; intra-articular (open)." Since there is no mention of one or more ligaments, how should this code be reported?
A recent article in CPT Assistant (April 2009) instructs coders to report CPT code 27428 for reconstruction of the ACL and 27428-59 for reconstruction of the PCL, so it would be appropriate to report this code one time for each ligament that is reconstructed.
The information provided should be utilized for educational purposes only. Facilities are ultimately responsible for verifying the reporting policies of individual commercial and MAC/FI carriers prior to claim submissions.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- GI leader to know: Dr. Russell Cohen of The University of Chicago Medicine
- NJ Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers sends members to Capitol Hill in support of access to care bills: 3 takeaways
- Senior in home care start-up Hometeam names CMO: 4 takeaways
- Pain Con Pain Consultants at Piedmont receives accreditation: 3 takeaways
- Obalon Therapeutics 3 balloon capsule system safe, effective for obesity treatment: 5 takeaways