Computer-Assisted Coding Will Not Solve All ICD-10 Difficulties
CAC has several advantages, including:
• Increased coding efficiency
• Increased consistency
• Increased coding accuracy
• Use of free text for recording documentation
However, in order to maximize your benefit from CAC, templates and interfaces need to be built properly to handle the tasks and electronic health record templates need to be customized for clinical documentation improvement.
CAC will only work properly and optimally when physicians or coders enter the correct information to generate ICD-10 codes, which are vastly more specific than ICD-9.
More Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
Common Coding Mistakes in Ambulatory Surgery Centers: 6 Specialties to Know (Part 2 of 3)
Northeast Georgia Health Hires VP of Revenue Cycle
StenTel, M-Scribe Partner for Revenue Cycle Management Services
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
CareCloud, Precyse partner for physician office ICD-10 educationRead Now
- 14 ASC joint venture benefits & challenges
- Inpatient utilization expected to continue dropping
- 4 tips to addressing physician credentialing with payers during an acquisition
- New Bradley ASC may move orthopedics in 2 years
- Bridging the generational gap: Understanding older & younger surgeon perspectives