CMS Adjusts Medicare RAC Documentation Limits
The new guidelines, which exclude physicians and suppliers, go into effect April 15. According to the CMS guidance, RACs may request a minimum of 20 records in a 45-day period from hospitals, down from the previous minimum of 35 records.
The maximum number of record requests per 45 days is still 400, while hospitals with more than $100 million in MS-DRG payments still have a cap of 600.
CMS also changed limitations on the type of claims RACs can review. Previously, 100 percent of a RAC's record request could be used toward a single type of claim, such as inpatient or outpatient. Now, RACs can only select up to 75 percent of any claim type for review, while the remaining 25 percent would have to be for other types of claims.
To read the entire update from the CMS regarding RAC documentation limit changes, click here.
More Articles on Hospitals and RACs:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
Arise Austin Medical Center Selects athenahealth for Clinical IntegrationRead Now
- 4 Tips for ASCs to Select a Business Analytics System and Streamline Collections
- Business Advisor Relationships: 4 Common Mistakes ASCs Make
- Corporate Compliance Committees: Why Healthcare Facilities Need One
- PriorityOne Launches New Corporate Identity, Moves to Bigger Office
- Online Preoperative Screening Advantages: Q&A With Ambulatory Surgical Center of Stevens Point's Becky Ziegler-Otis