Caryl Serbin of Serbin Surgery Center Billing Shares Insight on Surgery Centers in This Economy
Caryl Serbin, president of Serbin Surgery Center Billing, shares her thoughts on three critical issues facing ASCs during this struggling economy.
Q: What impact is the economy having on ASCs?
Caryl Serbin: Patients are choosing to have less elective surgeries. There has also been an increase in patient requests for payment plans, lower fees, etc.
Q: What is the most important thing an ASC can do in 2009 to preserve profits?
CS: Analyze your billing practices (such as acceptance of denials and errors with no pursuit). Also, consider outsourcing coding, billing and A/R management to experts.
Q: Are there opportunities in the ASC market now?
CS: There are a few opportunities in the market. Most involve turnaround centers. In addition, opportunities for management services are available, including evaluation of a center's business practices, efficiencies, managed care negotiation and outsourced coding and billing services.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Study: Romney's Healthcare Reform Law Did Not Increase Hospital Use, Costs
- Value-Based Physician Compensation: How 2 Organizations Are Navigating It
- 100 Leaders of Great Hospitals in America
- 12 Statistics on ASC Administrator Salaries
- UnityPoint Health — Trinity Bettendorf to Open Pain Management Center