Caryl Serbin of Serbin Surgery Center Billing Shares Insight on Surgery Centers in This Economy
Q: What impact is the economy having on ASCs?
Caryl Serbin: Patients are choosing to have less elective surgeries. There has also been an increase in patient requests for payment plans, lower fees, etc.
Q: What is the most important thing an ASC can do in 2009 to preserve profits?
CS: Analyze your billing practices (such as acceptance of denials and errors with no pursuit). Also, consider outsourcing coding, billing and A/R management to experts.
Q: Are there opportunities in the ASC market now?
CS: There are a few opportunities in the market. Most involve turnaround centers. In addition, opportunities for management services are available, including evaluation of a center's business practices, efficiencies, managed care negotiation and outsourced coding and billing services.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- How Physician Thinking Changes After Working in ACOs
- 2014 Financial Impact Analysis Doesn't Stop With CMS' Final Rule: Don't Neglect CMS NCCI Edits
- 4 Drivers of Recent M&A Activity in Healthcare
- 8 Reasons to Outsource Medical Billing Services
- 5 ICD-10 Transition Considerations Medical Practices Have Likely Not Thought About