ASC Coding Guidance: Coding for Laryngoscopy — Indirect, Direct or Microscope Used?
CPT copyright 2009 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
1. Laryngoscopy procedures are coded using CPT 31505-31579.
2. Procedures designated as "direct" indicate the procedure is done using an endoscope.
3. Procedures designated as "indirect" indicate the procedure is done with a mirror, as opposed to using the endoscope.
4. Procedures designated as "operative" indicate the procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
5. Don't forget that there are separate CPT codes for laryngoscopy done with a flexible fiberoptic scope, starting with CPT 31575.
Learn more about Serbin Surgery Center Billing.
The information provided should be utilized for educational purposes only. Please consult with your billing and coding expert. Facilities are ultimately responsible for verifying the reporting policies of individual commercial and MAC/FI carriers prior to claim submissions.
Read more practical guidance from Caryl Serbin:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- The Future of ACOs for Anesthesiologists
- Healthcare Exchange Traded Funds See Biggest Boom in Years
- FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Off-Label Use Information Dissemination
- Surgical Care Affiliates President & CEO Andrew Hayek Among 2014 Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellows
- A Look at ASC Valuation Through the Eyes of M&D Companies