ASC Coding Guidance: Coding for Laryngoscopy — Indirect, Direct or Microscope Used?
CPT copyright 2009 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
1. Laryngoscopy procedures are coded using CPT 31505-31579.
2. Procedures designated as "direct" indicate the procedure is done using an endoscope.
3. Procedures designated as "indirect" indicate the procedure is done with a mirror, as opposed to using the endoscope.
4. Procedures designated as "operative" indicate the procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
5. Don't forget that there are separate CPT codes for laryngoscopy done with a flexible fiberoptic scope, starting with CPT 31575.
Learn more about Serbin Surgery Center Billing.
The information provided should be utilized for educational purposes only. Please consult with your billing and coding expert. Facilities are ultimately responsible for verifying the reporting policies of individual commercial and MAC/FI carriers prior to claim submissions.
Read more practical guidance from Caryl Serbin:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
TransFirst & iNtelli-Bill join forces: 3 things to knowRead Now
- 24 staffing statistics for orthopedic surgery centers
- Rocheford Plastic Surgery receives reader's choice award: 4 things to know
- 3 points on Las Vegas' booming outpatient surgery market
- 5 key quotes from NPSF president on patient safety culture
- In which states do physicians earn the most & the least?