ASC Coding Guidance: Coding for Laryngoscopy — Indirect, Direct or Microscope Used?
CPT copyright 2009 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
1. Laryngoscopy procedures are coded using CPT 31505-31579.
2. Procedures designated as "direct" indicate the procedure is done using an endoscope.
3. Procedures designated as "indirect" indicate the procedure is done with a mirror, as opposed to using the endoscope.
4. Procedures designated as "operative" indicate the procedure is performed under general anesthesia.
5. Don't forget that there are separate CPT codes for laryngoscopy done with a flexible fiberoptic scope, starting with CPT 31575.
Learn more about Serbin Surgery Center Billing.
The information provided should be utilized for educational purposes only. Please consult with your billing and coding expert. Facilities are ultimately responsible for verifying the reporting policies of individual commercial and MAC/FI carriers prior to claim submissions.
Read more practical guidance from Caryl Serbin:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- This peptide may treat bacterial infections: 3 study insights
- Crohn's & Colitis Foundation shares results from IBD Qorus pilot program: 3 notes
- Patients over 75 years old may not benefit from colonoscopy: 4 study insights
- FDA approves Janssen Biotech's STELARA; Boston Scientific leads GI/endoscopic device market & more: 7 GI company key notes
- Outpatient hip resurfacing lowers cost up to 60%: 5 study insights