A Deeper Look at ICD-10: 5 Tips for a Smooth Transition
Government Health IT.
Here are five areas to pay close attention to for a better coding switch.
1. Maximize clinical documentation improvement by improving your practice's ICD-9 coding accuracy and documentation.
2. Educate coders and documentation personnel and they can teach physicians ICD-10 nuances in peer-to-peer training.
3. Be choosey with vendor selections and don't rely on your technology to improve sloppy documentation.
4. Integrate an EHR so physicians can have extra assistance in reaching documentation compliance.
5. Practice using ICD-10 to highlight potential problems or deficiencies before the implementation deadline, especially with dual coding.
More Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
Healthcare Leaders Discussed Medicare Payment Alternatives at AMA Summit
Common Coding Mistakes in Ambulatory Surgery Centers: 6 Best Practices (Part 3 of 3)
4 Tips for Helping Physicians Embrace ICD-10
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2014. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
AMA stands fast behind initial ICD-10 price estimatesRead Now
- Dr. Ali El-Mohandes opens Maryland pain management clinic
- Construction on $380M Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center continues
- FUJIFILM Medical Systems installs 4,000 Synapse PACS systems worldwide
- Microbiome analysis has potential to improve CRC detection
- CMS issues final payment decision for Cologuard