6 Steps to Prepare for ICD-10's Detailed Code SetPreparing for the additional codes of ICD-10 can seem daunting, but analyzing codes you use for ICD-9 is a place to start, according to PhysBizTech.
Here are six steps for preparing for a more detailed code set.
1. Identify which diagnoses you most frequently code.
2. Use the ICD-10 code book or a similar software tool to find the best match for those diagnoses.
3. Identify the words physicians use to describe routine protocols to billers and coders.
4. Determine clear protocols for entering key words, medical notes and content in medical records.
5. Discuss changes to clinical documentation that may be required for ICD-10 codes.
6. Share your ICD-10 code interpretation from testing with colleagues to minimize confusion and miscommunication.
More Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
5 Billing & Coding Goals for ASCs in 2013
National Medical Billing Services' Tamara Wagner Presents at ASCA Seminar
Only Full Medicaid Expansions Will Receive 100% Federal Funding
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest ASC news and feature stories from Becker's ASC Review, sign-up for the free Becker's ASC Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Senate Introduces Companion Medicare RAC Reform Bill
- Drs. Brian Cole, Anthony Romeo of Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush Among Top Orthopedic Surgeons Contributing to Orthopedic Literature
- Spinal Elements Upgrades to 40,000-Square-Foot Headquarters
- UnitedHealth, Aetna, Cigna to Sit Out of California's Health Insurance Exchange
- Rhode Island Nixes "Confidential" Prices Between Payors, Providers