6 Steps to Prepare for ICD-10's Detailed Code Set
Here are six steps for preparing for a more detailed code set.
1. Identify which diagnoses you most frequently code.
2. Use the ICD-10 code book or a similar software tool to find the best match for those diagnoses.
3. Identify the words physicians use to describe routine protocols to billers and coders.
4. Determine clear protocols for entering key words, medical notes and content in medical records.
5. Discuss changes to clinical documentation that may be required for ICD-10 codes.
6. Share your ICD-10 code interpretation from testing with colleagues to minimize confusion and miscommunication.
More Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
5 Billing & Coding Goals for ASCs in 2013
National Medical Billing Services' Tamara Wagner Presents at ASCA Seminar
Only Full Medicaid Expansions Will Receive 100% Federal Funding
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Mastering supply chain and inventory management in your ASC
- New Hampshire outpatient clinic offers services for veterans: 5 key notes
- Cracking down on misdiagnoses: 5 points about new medical student training
- 5 observations about St. Elizabeth Healthcare using Tenable Network Security for medical device IT security
- Telemedicine upgrade for CVS in-store clinics: 5 points