6 Steps to Prepare for ICD-10's Detailed Code Set
Here are six steps for preparing for a more detailed code set.
1. Identify which diagnoses you most frequently code.
2. Use the ICD-10 code book or a similar software tool to find the best match for those diagnoses.
3. Identify the words physicians use to describe routine protocols to billers and coders.
4. Determine clear protocols for entering key words, medical notes and content in medical records.
5. Discuss changes to clinical documentation that may be required for ICD-10 codes.
6. Share your ICD-10 code interpretation from testing with colleagues to minimize confusion and miscommunication.
More Articles on Coding, Billing and Collections:
5 Billing & Coding Goals for ASCs in 2013
National Medical Billing Services' Tamara Wagner Presents at ASCA Seminar
Only Full Medicaid Expansions Will Receive 100% Federal Funding
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
SuperCoder launches anatomical workflow solution for ICD-10Read Now
- What is important for ASC leaders to know today? 3 key thoughts from Susan Kizirian
- Emory's "Team Ebola" to receive patient safety award
- 5 parasites that have travelled the world
- $180M addition to Akron Children's Hospital includes outpatient center
- NextGen Healthcare launches new population health, care management solution